Tuning questions.

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by MickeyBee, Aug 15, 2008.

1. MickeyBee

MickeyBee New Member

I've agreed to help my neighbor tune his cam & 1/2. Never owned one so I did some reading that has me a bit puzzled.

First, when they say to advance the top cam a little do they mean it should hit the cable, on draw, before the bottom cam or visa versa?

Secondly, when they say to twist the yoke to adjust the cam lean are they refering to brace height, full draw, or something dynamic?

I realy enjoy helping people out but I don't want to drive myself crazy in the process so any help will be appreciated.

2. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

The guy I know and trust at the Hoyt shop showed me how to time the cam&1/2. I'll do my best to describe it. I can't post pictures(old computer and older operator). At full draw, have someone look at the cams. You can also look in the mirror or watch as someone else draws the bow for you. The string should come off both cams flat; neither over or under rotated. Pay no attention to the alignment holes in the cams. He added or subtracted twists in the Y cabel and the controle cable to change the timing. He didn't need to adjust for cam lean. I would guess shortening the side of the yoke you want the cam to lean towards may work. I'm sorry my information is incomplete, but this is all I remember about the process regarding cam timing and lean. Maybe someone else can add their experience.

3. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ha there

ive dont it on a cam and 1/2 but i just twisted the cables to get the cam position in the proper place that was pictured in the book.
    and checked tiller and back and forth it was crazy but we got it.
    it was when cam n1/2 was first out what 3-4 years ago
    i cant even remember the bow..:laugh:
    but remember doing it.
    sorry :wave:

4. red44

red44 Senior Member

Second question first. If it's a stock Hoyt buss cable an a cam.5 bow, you cannot gain anything on cam lean because the yoke is a floating yoke. Meaning it's made to self adjust/slide. If it's been replaced with a fixed/static yoke, then you can twist the individual sides to correct cam lean. Thats only for the top cam though, there is no yoke for the bottom on a cam.5.
    First question, advancing the top cam.
    There are two things to keep an eye on when messing with the cables. Cam sync, which is checked by messuring tiller, and draw stop timing, which is what it sounds like, both ends hitting the stops on the cams at the same time. While they are interconected, they are different. Javi's thread explains it pretty good. I also have a DVD thats available from another At'r, he hit's the same points, but goes about it a little different than Mike. Javis is a sticky thread at the top in the tuning section over on AT, hybrid cam tuning/draw stop timing. If I was good with it, I'd answere your question directly, but when I do work on the one we have, I get out Javi's guide to refer to.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  5. red44

red44 Senior Member

To advance the top cam I would think would be making it hit the stop before the bottom cam. ( or if the case was that it was behind, to speed it up to hit even with the bottom) Here's Javi's thread if you haven't found it yet.
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=207391

6. MickeyBee

MickeyBee New Member

Thanks for the info guys. Because I don't feel like earning any colledge credits for tuning the neighbors bow I think I will check the cams, tiller, and tell him to do a walk back. Thanks again.
    What are they going to come out with next....cam & 3/4???

7. red44

red44 Senior Member

LOL, Darton came out with one they call a 2 1/2 or something like that. LOVE my single cams. :amen: