Uncomfortable.....

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by BUNNYMAN, Oct 7, 2006.

1. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

had a couple of shady charecters come in the shop today, you know when you just have that feelling about someone.....well let me tell you never felt that uncomfortable at work before.....my heart was in my throat the hole time they were there....you know the kind that never takes there eye of of the person behind the counter except when they are signalling to the other.....well easton doesnt make only arrows boys and girls.....nothing ended up happening but I was shaking for the rest of the day.....i have never felt unconfortable at work before.......

this got me to thinking that i am probably not the only one something like this or worse has happened too......

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Probably not, I've seen it happen before, and these people know damn well they are looking shady, they do it on purpose.

3. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Bowman, I hope you have a permit to carry in the state you are in, just wear a big ol 9mm on your hip. Thank God we have it here in Tn. God Bless and keep you:pray: , Holy Smokes.:smokin:

4. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Not sure NY has a permit but my good ole home state allows me to carry a concealed weapon just for those shady characters.:rockon: Never have I had a problem and hope I never do. But its nice to know you have a little backup that goes by the name of Smith & Wesson 357.;) Be careful boys there are alot of desperate people out there. Glad to hear everything turned out ok there Adam keep safe.:hug:

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I dont have a pistol permit and never wanted one untill now.....Although if bad things had happened I probably would have just given them what ever they wanted......

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Got mine, it's easy in Ulster County too. But you're right just give em' what they want, and if they want too much " Let em' have it!"

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Ok so I am sure everyones opinions will very here but......

What makes a good self defence handgun, something that is accurate as well as easy to handle........

I have never felt a handgun was very accurate and have never even wanted to get one.....

now i am contemplating it very seriosly.....I dont want my daughter growing up w/o a daddy......

8. Frank

Frank Member

Bowman,
    I would suggest a .45cal semi auto, in what ever brand you decide to go with.It kinda depends on what type of cash you are wanting to spend.Alot of responsibility comes with carrying a gun, if you do decide to carry make sure that you are willing to use it and know how.I would suggest that you take a class even if you know how to shoot.

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I think I am going to research this a little more.....guess this is why the 7 day waiting period was made....(cooling off period)

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

45's are a good gun but not or self defense IMHO, a good coice for a defensive handgun is a small double action 357 revolver w/ a 2" barrel. It's easy to conceal, It won't jam like alot of auto's, and you can get em' cheap. Just choose quality your life may depend on it!

I carry a medium frame Taurus 9mm. It's well made and with good ammo I have never had a jam, but it's hard to conceal. Especially in shorts and a tee shirt.

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

It's like anything else Practice, Practice, well you know. Most defesive shootings are within 25 feet so accuracy is not as big an issue as you would imagine. You need to practice drawing and "point shooting".

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I work w/chain saws......so tee shirts and shorts are not a problem

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

so fill me in what is point shooting......I do not know anything about guns....hand guns anyway......

14. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Point shooting is basically you point the gun and pull the trigger and hope you hit something.

I would NOT go with a .45, the recoil is a bit rough and the clips don't hold as many rounds.

Do not get a revolver, get a good semi "conceal carry" piece. 20+ shots compared to 6... you do the math.

My perferred self defense round is the .40 S&W. Very managable recoil, very accurate round with plenty of knockdown power, but it won't go through the person and through the wall behind them like a .45 will.

Glock makes a good reliable gun (cops use them for a reason). H&K makes an awesome gun in the USP (I love mine!) and Remington makes a good one. depending on how much you want to spend the sky is the limit on pistols.

btw- READ THE LAWS!!!! In a lot of states you can carry concealed but if you draw the weapon you are breaking the law. Also... keeping it under the counter is pretty stupid, what happens if your not right there at the moment?

Also - get a lasergrip sight. (Crimson Trace makes a good one) Nothing is going to deter the idiots like seeing a red spot appear on their chest which is exactly where the bullet is going to go to.

and make sure you practice, buying a gun and never shooting and only keeping it "just in case" makes as much sense as giving them the money.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  15. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

Check on just carry laws that apply to having the firearm on your own property, sometimes by not "concealing" it and having it open for them to see is more of a deterant than pulling it out after someone attempts an act. Stopping the thought and not the action is the key. However, you may want to talk to some of your more regular/trusted/important customers to find out if they feel that you carrying a firearm would make them uncomfortable in your shop. Even a concealed weapon isn't always concealed if you bend over just right or twist to grab something off the shelf. Also, don't under estimate the eyes of a child that are at waist height. They notice everything and are definately going to bring it to dad's/mom's attention.

Beware: there is more to think about that what gun and caliber that you want.

I understand that you have to protect your business and life, especially in these shady changing times, but you also must ensure that customers are comfortable enough to return. I know of a small outfitter in the area that went out of business he made people too uncomfortable to come in the door. He was robbed once and became too paranoid.

Please be careful, if we get loose everyone, meaning just you, that talk down the WB then the other companies won't even have a chance. I mean who else is there to give misguided advise.

Clem

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I am somewhat lost and maybe I am not reading this right......so forgive me, maybe there is a word out of place....

Also does anyone think that maybe I really dont care if you use a WB.....I just like to "stir the pot" .......as long as you are shooting than that is all that matters.....I do feel there are better rests out there for all venues even hunting but if thats what you like then so be it.......I just cant seem to keep myself from :deadhorse: :laugh:

17. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Point shooting is kinda like dredly said. It's a type of shooting disipline where you train to point the gun like an extension of your hand. You can raise your hand and point your finger at the target everytime, now you practice w/ the gun ( raise, point, fire) Like I said most shots will be within 25 feet, center mass of the average human is atleast 12" x 12" so accuracy is not a major issue. Trigger control is more important.

As far as Hi-capacity mags, NY has a 10 round limit, and I would rather have a good revolver that fires all 6 than a auto that may jam on the second round. Not that it will happen but I don't want to bet my life on it!

"The only EFFECTIVE Gun control is using both hands!!"

18. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

40 SW is an excellent round, an another good auto is the Sig Sauer or even Kimber. I don't knock the big names like those auto's, it's the small inexpensive autos like some of the Keltec's, Raven, Star. They are bad choices for inexperienced shooters(who are prone to "limp wrist", hinders the recoil operated action causing jams)

But like you said you have to practice. And a laser sight can be an effective deterent.

19. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

Sorry, maybe it was the wrong time for me to give a stir to the pot.

20. pilot

pilot Senior Member

First of all....it really stinks that people like that are out there so that you feel that you have to make this decision, but if it's really on your mind then check around and see if you got any local pro shops or gun ranges where you can try out the goods? That way you can determine what caliber/action/frame size is comfortable to you personally. That should be very helpful if you don't have much experience with handguns. :thumb:

<climbs on soapbox>
    Regardless of what you decide, my best advice is that IF you choose to buy a handgun for self defense, buy some ammo, take it to a good range, and shoot it, shoot it, shoot it....become familiar with it, cozy even to the point that everything about handling it becomes second nature. Any gun that you can't handle with effeciency and accuracy is no good to you in a stressful personal defense scenario. Don't buy one if you intend to throw it in a drawer just in case you need it. And of course check all of your local laws....
    <steps down from soapbox>
    :biggrin1:

I own several handguns in several different calibers but for my my personal defense rig i chose a semi-compact Baby Eagle in .40 S&W. Reliable, simple, accurate.