Under Grained

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Marshlandhunter, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Marshlandhunter

Marshlandhunter Junior Member

If my Bowtech Equilizer, which is tweeked to 65 lbs with a double STS should be shooting a 325 grain arrow. Am I taking a chance on shooting say 15 or 20 grains under and what damage could I be doing. I would like to shoot a Gold Tip Pro 3555 23.5" with a 85 grain machanical broardhead, blazer vanes which comes out to 301. What do you'll think. Thanks Marshlandhunter:frusty:

2. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I thought the equalizers were only 60 lb. bows? How did you "tweak" yours to get 65lbs??? If I had a bowtech I wouldn't shoot light arrows, blowtechs are hard enough on limbs the way it is. A 300 grain arrow is the only way you will get the eq over 300 fps, if thats what your going for. My buddy shoots 365 grain arrows out of his and its in the 250s, but he is only drawing 54 lbs. Good luck:doh:

3. Huya

Huya Senior Member

An under grained arrow is harder on the limbs, almost like dry firing. This is something you shouldn't do. I would either turn the bow down to be able to handle that arrow properly, or get heavier grained arrows. The speed difference isn't worth the price of the bow or the possibility of the injury you could sustain from a limb or arrow explosion.

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I would be more worried about the under-spined arrow...
    3555 GT ? With a 65 pound bow ?
    How fast do you really need ?

I shoot an Allegiance at 289 fps... That's plenty fast for anything...

Ron

5. Key west

Key west Junior Member

How do you add up the numbers? I have some Carbon Supreme 250 with 100g tip
    can or is it ok to shoot them at 70 lbs. (Hoyt Vectrix) arrow 28", Blazers vains.
    My Radial X weave 300 @ 28" 100g tip weighed 375g on a scale. 290 fps.

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

thats what I was thinking.....but if he has a real short draw length these may work out.....

7. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Yup ahve no problems at 256fps

Gotta git a good shot off and tha rest is a breeze.

8. Marshlandhunter

Marshlandhunter Junior Member

getting poundage

just turning the bus cables as if you where adjusting your timing on your cams.

9. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

So doesn't that make your bow out of time? And wouldn't it alter your axle to axle length?

10. jetshowell

jetshowell Member

i would be worried abound under splined arrows then its also kind of hard to add all the weight up remember you do have nocks and inserts to acount for to put them on a scale