Waxing your strings

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by swintj1, Aug 4, 2008.

1. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Hi All,

Just bought some Bohning string wax and I put it on and rubbed it into the strings...but my question is..."remove excess..." Does that mean to run over the strings with an old T-shirt and make it so the strings feel dry and not sticky...or do I leave the strings feeling sticky and wet?

Any advice would be great. Also...I'll get butchered for this..but I haven't waxed them ever...and I've owned the bow for a year now, and have 1000's of shot on it, and some of the string is fraying...do I need to buy a new string after only 1 year?

If I get a new string, how often do I wax the string? Once a month? Once every 100 shots?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

2. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

I use a piece of leather to run up and down the it heats the string and lets the wax penatrate the string you don't have to keep adding wax everytime just run the leather strap up and down the strap I use is about 1/2 wide & 1/6thick

3. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

I just use my fingers to rub in the wax and remove the obvious excess. I dont worry about the rest, so far doesnt look like I have done any damage using this method.

4. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I work the wax in by hand and when I am done I wipe away any excess with a paper towel.

5. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Me too. :noidea:

6. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

Me three. :noidea:

7. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

8. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

I use a piece of wax paper to work the wax in. Moving it quickly creates friction, heats the string, and helps the wax penetrate the fibers. I don't seem to have enough excess wax left to bother wiping it away. My string lightens in color before it starts fraying. This color change is what I use to gauge when to wax my string. When I shoot every day, I wax a couple times a week. I would suggest taking the bow to an archery tech. They may show you how to gauge your string wear. This is important. A badly worn string is dangerous. Have fun, I do.