well last night it happened...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Dredly, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I set my OG up a few days ago with my old WB, single pin Copper John site and went out and flung some arrows... normally I have to screw around with everything for a while to get it to work...

I adjusted the peep twice and I'm right where I want to be, pin is sighted in at 25 yards. thats with field points... my muzzy's NEVER fly at the same point as my field tips...

wrong.

at 25 yards I can cut X every time w/ my muzzy 100's, at 20 yards I'm an inch high, at 30 yards I'm about 3 inches low

That is exactly what I want. This is a sign from the great gods of the hunt that Dredly will harvest his first REAL buck this year...

And all this w/ 4" plastic veins on Camo 5575 shafts (to much PITA to strip them down so I'll shoot them as is :frusty: I LOVE ARCHERY SEASON!!!!!!!!!!

Also spoke with my parents neighbor yesterday that I alway talk hunting with, there is a monster 8 running around my hunting grounds, a veyr shootable 6 and a very shootable 8 along with 15+ doe.

Its gonna be a GREAT year

2. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

so ya been scoring only tha foam bucks before?:laugh:

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yeah that and small fawns......

4. red44

red44 Senior Member

Don't let 'em bust your chops Dred, fawns carry out easy.:rockon:

5. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

And taste better!

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

And cook great over a fire! :biggrin1:

I've only been archery hunting for 3 years (this will be my 4th). So far I've taken a doe and a button buck that I thought was a doe so I'm not to upset yet.

I've passed on 2 bucks, missed a shot on one 6 pointer (stupid tree branch, I wonder if that arrow has landed yet) and just haven't had a shot on any others.

Remember we are in an antler restriction zone so nothing under a 5 pointer, typically that means nothing under a 2 year old and by 2 years they normally know that when people start walking the woods they need to go nocturnal.

7. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Sounds like you're dialed in. :thumb: I picked up the new Mission X3 Tuesday night, pulled that stick of firewood off it with a hairdryer last night, and installed the Ripcord. :biggrin1: Hopefully I'll get it dialed in this weekend. I've been thinking of buying a new sight, but I think I'll just put my copper John DN on it with one pin like you did.

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I like it quite a bit. No guess work involved, from 5 - 30 yards I hold on the vitals and its dead, for 35 I hold 3 inches high and its dead. plus with only one site pin you can perfectly center the pin in your peep as opposed to having to look between pins or have part of the deer obscured. I started using it last year after I saw my sisters boyfriend using a single pin and it works well

it would work even better at a higher speed as there is less drop. I think I'm only shooting around 250 - 260 FPS or so w/ my hunting rig. plenty bright enough, durable, and if I break a pin I have 2 more laying around :biggrin1:

9. red44

red44 Senior Member

I blew a shot chance on a nice smallish 8 last year tring to quickly adjust a slider, should have just set it at 25 and left it. I whacked my release on the riser...see-ya! There is something to be said for using one fixed pin, especially in the woods. Most shots are not that far.

10. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

KISS is where its at as far as hunting goes.

Keep it simple stupid! The idea of missing a buck at 30 yards because I used the wrong pin doesn't really appeal to me :biggrin1:

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Sounds like you're ready to me...:peace:

Yup...KISS...

Good luck Dredly...