What Do I Need??????????

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by 'SIN'ERGY, Jun 7, 2008.

1. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

I will be hunting whitetail in Illinois for 13 days in November. Other than the stuff I need to hunt with on a daily basis what do you think I need to bring along::ie: the things I might overlook...

2. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

What are you planning on bringing? That should help narrow things down.

3. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

Extra Release, String Loop, Anything That Could Get Lost Or Brake

4. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

I know what I need hunting wise, I have never been away from the house hunting this long. I'm looking for some things like the creature comforts (did I just say that) that I might forget to pack. Just looking for some advice from guys who have been out of state and realized oh :censored: I forgot that.

5. SinGin

SinGin Banned

Cell phone charger.

6. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

Clothing to range from temperatures from 15 to 75!

7. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Make sure your clothing is layed. Our weather here (St. Louis area) not only changes daily BUT sometimes hourly. I've seen 30 degree temp changes in the process of 1 day. Also it could be 60 1 day and freezing the next. What part of Ill. are you hunting?

8. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

Southwest of Quincy.

9. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

You mean like camping gear too? i.e. if you're in a tent, there are several things to consider....if you're in a camper, different....or if you're camping in a hotel still different ones. :D Assuming camping, though:
    • really big garbage bags
    • an extra cheap tarp or two
    • a fair bit of extra parachord always comes in handy
    • an air matress or foam pad to go under your sleeping bag
    • several gallons of water (for washing up and/or drinking)
    • a sharp hatchet and/or a set of long handled tree limb chompers (work for clearing shooting lanes AND to cut a rib cage open if you don't get crap flimsy ones
    • plenty of TP
    • a small (or large) shovel (unless you want to pack out used TP and a warm steaming plastic bag)
    • unscented soap and or waterless sanitizer/cleaner
    • a few big towels that you don't HAVE to come back from the woods with or a few rolls of good thick paper towels or blue towels
    • an extra set of thermals is nice (I got soaked day one of a 5 day trip and mine never QUITE got dry...always a tiny bit moist)
    • coleman camp fuel for stove & lantern
    • extra lantern...uhm..."bulbs" (can't remember what the bits that glow are called in a gas lantern)...IF you have a gas lantern
    • a spare lighter or two...sucks to be without one that works
    • a hand truck/dolly if you have one around. I laughed at my uncle for taking one to the woods one year....and wanted to borrow his the next. Makes dragging a big deer out super easy, especially if you're a bit lazy and don't have a 4 wheeler.
    • as mentioned above...a cell phone charger and/or emergency charger (i.e. charger that runs on AA batteries)...IF you'll be in an area that has reasonable coverage.
    • plenty of spare socks....especially a couple of pairs of woolies to wear over cotton socks. I find my feet start to smell if I have wet feet very long...and there's nothing as nice as throwing on a clean pair of dry socks when you get back to camp.
    • bug spray and/or citronella candles if it's not cold enough to keep them off your back.
    • something to sooth a bug bite or poison ivy....chiggers can ruine a night (only if it's not pretty frozen when you go)
    • a DC to AC power converter and a laptop with wireless broadand access so you can play on 3dshoots.com at night
    • a Nintendo DS makes for good fun passing the time
    • a portable DVD player with some movies or a stack of hunting videos/blooper reels can also fight off boredom if you're one of the A.D.D. generation (like I get at times).
    • remember your tags! (we got 2 hours from home before we realized we'd forgotten them. Luckily one guy was joining us late that night after work and we caught him before he left.) It'd suck to lose your truck and gear as a poacher when your tags were still at home on the counter.
    • Last, take your camera so you can get some pictures and share them here! (so we can live vicariously through you)
    Have fun!

10. phillip

phillip Hog wild

Insulated socks,and gloves. Extra pair boots,camo face net or paint ect.
    allen wrench set if your bow hunting,scent cover up spray,range finder,back up bow if bow hunting,
    Also you can check the local game in season so if you tag out and have a day or two to sit around you can hunt some small game if nothing else.
    Good luck and hunt safe.

11. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ha bud

Are you hunting with a guide or no
    If not GPS watch flashlight batteries.
    if no guide dont go looking for deer at night wait until the next morning
    wind up alarm clock if no electricity
    I took 10 galions of water and i used it in 1 week in ohio:noidea:
    find the closest store where your hunting for ice in the deer if its hot.

12. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Nice list. I think you got things covered.:peace: :laugh:

We sure have changed alot of things over the years have'nt we.:doh:

13. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

A partner :peace:

When do we leave?

14. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

beer, weigee board, nudey mags

15. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Better pack a wind sock for slippy!:pout:

16. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

NOT COOL! !!!

17. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

All in good fun buddy!:hug:

18. watt spurlock

watt spurlock New Member

Isn't that the truth! And with that said, I know somebody said a back up bow. I like to take a 60# or less for those really cold windy days if sitting in a tree stand. I hunt in jo daviess county, Ive hunted Friday afternoon in 78 degrees, And the next morning, 20 and snow. Got ot love it.:biggrin1: