What do you look for in a 'hunting knife'?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Shaman, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Shaman

Shaman Senior Member

It was suggested I post this in there too:

Hi folks.
    I'm working with/for (on the side) some guys trying to start up a mid-tech knife business.
    They each make full on custom knives, but are wanting to create a 'standard line' to give buyers something they don't have to wait weeks/months to get.

They have their first knife done in starting production (all hand finished).
    They have their plans for their second knife as well.

Now.. on to the 3rd knife.
    They are thinking about a 'hunting' knife, but finding that 'hunting knife' means a lot of different things to different people.

What do YOU think?
    What do you consider when you think of a 'hunting knife'?
    How much are you willing to pay for a mid/high end user?

Links, pictures, or descriptions to illustrate what you are thinking of are welcome.

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I like a drop point with a rubber or neoprene type grip. My current skinning knives are a Buck Mini Alpha and a Buck Zipper.

3. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I personally don't care what they look like as long as they will hold an edge...:noidea:

4. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Oh ya and "Made in China" on the blade is an instant turn off...:amen:

5. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Hard to find without..................:noidea: :mad:

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I like a drop point also...

I tend to go for shorter blades like 3"...

7. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I use a 3" folding Ruko, and an ez-zipper. Maybe something short, full tang, without the gut hook, good (non china) steel. Possibly finished antler as a handle material or rubber/neoprene ergonomic (easy to grip when wet) handle. I wouldn't be opposed to giving $40 for a nice knife to replace my ruky duke. Kind of a pain to clean a folding gut knife...:frusty: Oh yeah and don't have a bunch of lines or a pattern on the handle, sucks to clean the fatty stuff out of there after cleaning!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  8. I use a buck folding knife 110 or 120 plus my brother got me a buck zipper with the brass and wood handle. I like the look of wood and brass on the handles of my knifes.

9. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

I look for a short (3") stout (read this as thick) heavy blade that holds an edge very well. Something with a high carbon content. Gerber knives take a shaving edge like nobody's buisness. I hate gut hooks, as I don't think they work very good, and they are hard to sharpen. I like a folding knife for packability, but a straight knife for skinning. The handle should be made from a material that is non-porous (sp?) so that it doesn't hold blood and germs/bacteria. If decorative wood is used, it must be sealed very well. The ability to take the knife apart to clean would be nice.

I would be willing to pay up to $100 for a good knife, but it has to be a quality knife that I know I will keep for a long time and will be useful.

10. Shaman

Shaman Senior Member

You've kind of described their first knife, except the price.
    All their parts are Made in the US, they even turn their own Pins.

http://downeastknife.com/blog/

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  11. Shaman

Shaman Senior Member

Edit expired:

These are the prototypes of series one. They made it as a general user, not stylized for hunters. All parts are US Made, they even turn their own removable pins.

Click picture for larger view:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall Length of about 8", Blade length 3.75" with 3.5" sharpened
    D2 Steel, 1/8" thick
    Micarta Grips
    Removable Pins for maintaining/swapping grips

I don't see how they could match it for less than $100 though.
    They take blanks, get them CNC'd and work from there. No overseas parts and just about every part is hand massaged.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  12. broadhead

broadhead New Member

Perfect knife

I recently tried to replace a knife that I lost. I could not find the knife in the U.S. and had to have a friend go to Germany and pick it up. Three blades. 1 is a gutting blade -- not the drop points. One is a regualr locking blade and the third is a saw. If not a folding knife with these three blades, just a short sheath knife with a good blade.

13. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

14. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I use Dunn knives for all of my hunting needs. I have never had to sharpen my knives. I let them touchup the edge once a year. They are very sharp and hold an edge well.

Your knives look good, I may have to get 1 to try.

15. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I checked out your web site. The knives are made with a good quality steel and the lines are clean. The handles look like they will fit the hand well, and the options of finished or coated blades is nice. The price that I saw is about right for that knife, it may even be slightly under priaced for being all hand made from start to finish.

If I hadn't just ordered a knife from Fehrman knives I would be seriously looking to buy one of yours. I hope that you do well in the knife making business.:rockon:

16. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

yep

Thats what ive been usein all my life the buck 110 but i baught a new 1 with the finger grips like $30
    and the guide series like $59 i baught for my son
    Buck knives carry an edge for quite some time
    Im in a huntclub down here and skin sometimes 5 to 10 deer at 1 time without re-sharpening:biggrin1:

17. Shaman

Shaman Senior Member

To be fair, I am a hanger-on. HAHA.
    But, I am just learning about the differences between production knives like the Buck lines (always used a 102 myself) and custom.
    I did the website in exchange for a knife or two, and went to see the knife makers and hang out for a day. It is amazing how much work goes into each knife. I have no real stake in their sales. Just trying to help them out by leveraging the archery forums, where my hobbies lead me.

They priced it aggressively to try and sell out their first 100 and provide more seed funds for continued production and the next in the series (fish and trout).

Bush Economic Stimulus Plan will free up some funds.
    And they'll be in full production by the end of March, just in time. ;)

18. Shaman

Shaman Senior Member

Just as an aside.
    I just redid the guys Blogs.
    At a point this spring/summer they'll pose this question to their Blog formally and you will have a chance to comment directly. For people interested in being part of, or even just watching, the design and implementation process... check it out here.

Note: you can subscribe too and if there are any updates you get a notice.
    No updates, no notice. So don't worry about being spammed when there is nothing new. Click Here for Blog

19. CW Redux

CW Redux Banned

Ive got an old 110 ive had for atleast 10 years...of all my knives my Lansky can put the sharpest edge on that knife...and it doesnt take but 10-15 minutes!

20. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member