What I am getting myself into?

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Rino, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Rino

Rino New Member

So I just finished my 15 season bow hunting and have been interested in 3D shooting for about a week now. I shoot a Hoyt Vtec outfitted with a Quick Tune drop away rest, Cobra Side Winder 4 pin sight, and a 13 year old caliper release (that I do love). I’ve shot one tournament and this summer I would like to compete at a higher level. Where do I start? Should a scope be the first item on the list? I’m tired of “bracketing” or “gap shooting.” Teach me oh wise ones!

2. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Good ta have ya here. i guess yore talkin' bout Bunnyman:D
    Well ta sratt an adjustable site and ither scope or pin. I shot a pin no scope for yrears cause didn't have many scopes then
    but you can do good with out a lens in tha scope
    although a good lens will help specially if yer sight is challanged like some of us older dudes.
    to be competive you'll need a bow that will do what is allowed in feet per second in what ever association you shoot.
    arrows ta match ta give ya the desired speed
    i recommend the bigger tha better
    if ya got a pro close go see him fer some basic lessons to unlearn yoreself of bad habits
    hope this helps
    ok fellars chime in here.:peace:

3. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

Cold enough for ya Rino?:D :welcome: to the forum. Listen carefully to these guys and you will do well.

4. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Rino.... My first question to you would be at what distance can you comfortably judge a target and make a good shot? The reason is when you start getting into scopes and moveable sights and stuff you are talking about shooting in the Open class at least in IBO shoots. If your shooting in the Open class you will be required to take shots up to and including 50 yrds. If you are not comfortable shooting this kind of distance start off in the hunter class which has a 35 yard maximum. What I am trying to say is I wouldn't want you to get discouraged and spend alot of cash just to find out that the open class is a little to tough. My suggestion would be to shoot the hunter class or the advanced hunter class your first year and get a season under your belt then if you feel comfortable move up and shoot the open...:noidea:

5. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

yep

You really need to listen to BULL and Smokes on this topic, read carefully.:rockon:
    Your shooting hunter round at around 35yds max and your comfortable, thats great,keep it up until you can come in the top most of the time in your class.:biggrin1:
    If and when you move up into the open or pro division,you have to be able to shoot 50yds and be able to have all the Money and equipment that you need to be successfull with the competition or your gonna get frustrated.

The where do i start question well here we go: all the things its gonna take you to hit atleast inside of a baseball at 50yds.
    sights,scope,clarifieing,verifing,peeps,stabs,rest,:lol: what ever it takes depending on your age,health,everything.
    In VA we do have a unlimited bowhunter class which is a step up at 40yds max so check in the area where you shoot.
    hope this helps and:welcome: to the forum

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Darn these guys are smart. I agree totally. Thats why after not shooting much 3D the last few years I am going to get back in. Bowhunter class for me. I am comfortable shooting and judging 35 yards and in. Good luck and I hope you have loads of fun.:peace:

7. Rino

Rino New Member

Thanks all for the info. I had no idea there were different classes in a tournament. I shot my first this past summer and there weren't any categories to choose from. There were targets out to 50 yards though. Are most shoots you all go to "official"? Maybe I am so oblivious that I am missing everything. I live about an hour from Fargo, ND, out in the sticks, so there is probably a lot going on there. How far do you all travel for a shoot?

8. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I go to sanctioned shoots and just regular club shoots but they all pretty much follow IBO rules around here... here is a link to the classes and rule info for an IBO shoot...http://www.ibo.net/Rules/ this should help you understand better...:rockon:

9. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

If you can judge yardage accurately then you have won most of the battle. I can do pretty well out to about 35 yards.