What is a trophy buck

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by stoneridgeilbuckguide, Mar 17, 2008.

1. stoneridgeilbuckguide

stoneridgeilbuckguide New Member

Every year there is talk of trophy whitetail. I would like to know what eveyone calles a trophy.
    Examples 6 point or better
    8 point or better
    over 120 antler inches
    over 130 antler inches
    anything with horns
    other
    thanks for your opinion is what I am looking for

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Anything 140 or above....:noidea: or 138 and a 1/8 in my case...:lol: :lol:

3. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

to me a trophy is what ever you want it to be. doe or buck. its whatever you set for yourself.my goal this year is going to be just getting a deer, and whatever i happen to come across will my trophy. after a few years of getting back into it my standards will go up.

4. stoneridgeilbuckguide

I really like this answer--We all need to remember to enjoy the experience and forget the inches

5. stoneridgeilbuckguide

congrats nice deer

6. mike p

mike p New Member

I look for older bucks as I don't have any real trophy quality deer where I have to hunt in Florida. I used to hunt South Carolina and tried to stay above 7 points and 17" spread. But I have absolutely no problem thinnin the does, as I really love them backstraps and that is the real trophy.

7. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ha

To me any deer you make the choice to take is a trophy with a bow:biggrin1:
    All the deer ive taken To Me with the bow were Trophys
    Just a few, were what i call " JOE NAILER"S " i hang on the wall:D

8. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

All depends on the person. For me a wallhanger is a 130 3 & 1/2 year old or bigger, but every deer is a trophy deer that I harvest. If it's not a trophy in your book then why did you shoot it? That's my opinion. Even the does are trophies to me.

9. red44

red44 Senior Member

Sometime any available buck. My son's, first 2...Ya, I'm proud of him:peace:

10. red44

red44 Senior Member

HEY!, I can do pictures! His first was a 175lb 7 pointer. He so stinks...
    His second was a small 5 pointer, looks like a spike but they're there, was a perfect shot, short trail. I have some good pics of the whole deal on the 2nd. Looks like a Hoyt add.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  11. red44

red44 Senior Member

canoe drag, and hapiness is a gut-pile..

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  12. red44

red44 Senior Member

Snypers leave a HOLE!
    Yup, thats a trophy buck to me. Sorry if I got carried away..

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  13. UPSTATE

UPSTATE Member

My goal every year is a 2 1/2 year old 8 point ; a big old buck here in central NY. Probably a "let it walk" buck for a lot of you guys. Anything bigger is a great trophy.

Of course if my son connects on anything this fall that will be a great trophy.

14. Bob4

Bob4 Junior Member

Where I go hunting once a yr a trophy Buck would be the second one you got costing you $900.00 more bucks.
    It had better be worth it. I'd never do it. :noidea:

15. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I primarily shoot does. If I don't plan on mounting the buck I let it walk, I shot a 2 1/2 year old 8 pointer off public ground probally around 115"-120" my second season of bow hunting. Now a days if its a buck under 3 1/2 it's pretty safe walking around my stand. Let em go, let em grow. My rule 3 1/2 off public ground, 4 1/2 + off private ground. I don't have to kill a buck every season to be happy with the year. Anyone will agree it's much more difficult to kill a 3 1/2+ doe than a 2 1/2 year old buck any day!

16. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

i would think a trophy is different for different people, your first deer is most definitely one, to me it is a personal thing.

17. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

To some its all about the antlers. To me its all about having fun and the experience. I dont care if its a big old buck or a small young buck or a doe. If I decide to let an arrow loose and put that deer down then its a trophy to me. I just enjoy hunting deer I dont care what the top of there head looks like.

18. aztrophytaker

aztrophytaker New Member

Personally , the trophy is measured by what I have invested in the hunt , and I dont mean money.

19. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

20. HYCREST3DARCHERY

HYCREST3DARCHERY MathewsMan

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder! i've seen my buddies get more "jacked up" over a doe then some guys do over a 140"