What type of release do you use for hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by swintj1, Oct 17, 2007.

1. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Hey all!

Looking into getting a mechanical release, and I don't know what kind to get. I don't really like the wrist releases that much because my draw length is 28.7, but I got a 29" Hoyt, so when I go to the wrist releases, my hand is not even touching my head...it is so far back. But, when I think about using a thumb release, I worry about getting up in my stand, and then dropping it and being screwed...what do you all use. Idealy, I want my hand by my ear, not infront, not behind, but the wrist puts it too far back, and thumb releases see to risky in the forest as far as losing/dropping.

HELP:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

2. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

I use a True Fire Hurricane and love it. It's a wrist strap and it really helps when the old arthritis kicks on in my hand. It took a little while to adjust to my first mechanical release but would never look back now.

3. pilot

pilot Senior Member

Scott Archery or Carter are my personal favorites...

4. RedFletchings

RedFletchings Member

Primos 44 caliber Jim Fletcher

Never missed yet with it.

5. hduc2005

hduc2005 Senior Member

I too love mine

6. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

7. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

What about something like this?

[​IMG]

8. pilot

pilot Senior Member

I had one of those and the release was decent but having that thing wrapped around my hand all the time interferred with pulling arrows, climbing, etc. so i quit using it.

9. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I love my carter insatiable thumb release. I can lock it onto the loop on my string, hang my bow on the bow hanger and I am ready to go for when any whitey comes in.

10. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Scott Little Goose.......:rockon:

11. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Get a tru-ball, if your worried about the distance from the strap to the trigger get one like the truball copperhead. The body position is adjustable via a strap instead of a rod like most releases. You can make them pretty short if you like it that way. I shoot a copperhead extra and its much better than my old tru-fire. Just make sure you get a wrist strap with a buckle NOT VELCRO!:doh:

12. Shaman

Shaman Senior Member

Scott Wildcat
    [​IMG]

13. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

I use a carter insatiable 4 finger...I love it. Don't worry about dropping it, you just keep it in your pocket and once you get all set up, take it out and hook it on the string and leave it there hanging.

14. timberghost

timberghost Senior Member

Scott Mongoose. Buckle strap.

15. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Wow, those are expensive. They don't even have a full 360 swivel...you have to draw it back with your hand upside down? Isn't that hard? It seems like the TRU thumb releases have the swivel so you have draw it back normal, and then rotate your hand upside down when readying to fire.

Can someone show me how you draw with your thumb release? Pic by Pic? Might be too much work, but I'd appreciate it if you had the pics available.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  16. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

no..you draw it palm down and as you are drawing back you turn your palm away from you and anchor the back of your hand on your face. This release is made to be shot with a D-loop...cant shoot it off the string.

17. release

If you shoot a loop take a look at the TRU Ball Short n' Sweet. It has a strap so you can make it as short as you like. It can also be shot off the string as a rope release. It can be had with a buckle or velcro strap.

18. jimposten

jimposten Senior Member

Am I the only one who uses a Stan super X quatro:noidea:

JIM

19. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

wow.. thats kinda funky.. i dont know if i could shoot that way.

20. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

I like the carter 2 shot!

Ben