What would you suggest...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Hook Em, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

My neighbor is a hunter and I finally have talked him into getting a bow to try it out. He only wants to spend 300 or under for the whole bow setup...he may not like bowhunting (although I don't see how that is possible). So what should I suggest for him to get? I looked on the classifieds here and on AT and don't really know much about the lower end/cheaper starter bows. Please help me get someone started in our great sport!

2. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

in that price range a used pse or martin would probly be the best bet I would think. There should be something along those lines on the classifieds on AT.

rick

3. Hook Em

any bows to stay away from?

4. thehairlessone!

no idea on that.

I would think you could definately pick up a pse nova or martin jaguar loaded for that.

rick

5. thehairlessone!

That sounds like a good deal. Plenty adjustment on the draw weight and I think it takes modules too.

rick

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Tell him to splurge on a Martin Bengal or Cheetah (400.00 NEW).

There are alot of excellent bows out there that are 3 - 4 years old and going for 200.00 or less for bare bow. 100 - 150.00 in accessories should get him to hunting level assuming he gets some good deals

I've set up 2 of my friends for less then 500.00 total and one for less then 300.00 total, all with good setups that would work for hunting without a doubt.

7. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

I'd tell you neighbor to either make a committment or just forget it. My intuition tells me he's just over hitting on your lady and trying to act interested in archery. I've seen the type before.

Or, you can always let him borrow your Hoyt once you tag out.

8. Hook Em

lol...that can't be it. He came over yesterday and searched the internet with me and the wife is in Kansas. Maybe he is just hitting on me :doh:

9. thehairlessone!

I think I would try to help him find a good one locally. That way he could get a feel for it,etc. Some bow shops carry used ones,etc. That is probly where I would start.

For a couple years I shot a $179 pse beast. I was happy with it and shot good with it too. I couldnt go back though. I quickly found out the more expensive ones have a better feel to me

Rick

10. Hook Em

I just talked to my shop and they have a couple PSE Nova's and a few other starter bows. I will just take him up there and let him try some out...hopefully he won't make the mistake of shooting the PSE and then trying a Drenalin or Alliegance off the wall. The night may be more expensive than he wanted it to be.

11. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

What the heck were you two "searching on the internet?"

Forget it........, I've heard about those live webcams. :tape:

12. Hook Em

For new bows! He has no computer...poor guy!

13. J.C.

J.C. New Member

look at the entry level Parkers, too. :thumb:

14. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

I bet with the misses out of town, your computer was burning the midnight oil. :biggrin1:

I got a bow I would sell your buddy for under $300, tell him to pm me. Really, its a hot buy. Oh, and when I say Hot, no, its not stolen. I mean, a nice little bow for $250.

15. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

The Bear Element is very nice for the money. You may also want to check out the Mission X3. I have not shot the Mission yet but have heard they are very nice bows. Don't you just love helpin a new archer out and possibly gaining a hunting buddy. He may have access to some awesome land.:rockon:

16. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

I found one!

Cabela's
    A parker-buckhunter outfitter Package $279
    Check it out!:noidea:

17. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Good older bowtechs came be gotten cheap. Just worked out a deal on a 04 Pro40 for 200, but target colors

18. Bellows1

Bellows1 Member

Hook, you can get a lot of bow for that money if you look around and not cheap starter bow, top of the line bows, just 3-4 years old. :)

Monofletch has some great deals on new and used bows from time to time.

If you need help finding something, have your wife PM me. :D