Whats the deal with Camo Clothing?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Dredly, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Does anyone have any idea why camo clothing is so insanely expensive? Pairs of fleece pants are 50.00 if you are lucky! Fleece pull overs are in the 60 - 100.00 version with a lining.

What gives? Is it just the cost of material? R&D? What gives? If you are a new hunter its nearly impossible to get setup clothing wise for hunting for under 300.00, assuming you don't want to freeze... and 300.00 is if you get EVERYTHING from the Bargain cave!!!

There were only 2 pairs of boots of insulated boots that were under 100.00. I didn't see any jackets under 100 and those weren't even for "cold". Pants were about the same. Underlayers are 50.00 / piece average...

WOW! No wonder the number of new hunters is dropping! Noone can afford it :frusty:

2. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

But if you look around and research things it comes out better. My Camo (3d leafy) is called a bug suit. Very thin, but baggy enought for cold weather close under it. jeans and t shirt on hot days. 45.00 Bass Pro
    It has a hood and mask built in.
    I have about 150 to 175 in my hunting set up 3D camo top and bottoms, Rocky Mountain snake high top boots, hat, gloves, mask.

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I need no less then 3 different "outer layers" for PA hunting.

I need one for early season where hitting 70 - 80 is common and 90% humidity is normal

I need one for mid season where the temps average between 35 - 60 and its windy / snowing

I need one for "Cold" where it is 35 - 10 or so and snowing w/ a windchill of -10

and then we have COLD days where the high is single digits (normally all of late season) where the wind chill is -15 to - 30.

Typically when hunting in PA I just walk a bit then sit in a stand and I reuse a lot of layers but you can only reuse so much.

Right now this is pretty much my "gear"

Warm (early season) - Under Armor Cold Gear top and bottom, BDU camo pants, button down long sleeve shirt uninsulated boots + cotton socks

Moderate (Mid Season) - all from "warm" + thermal long underware that should have been burned last season. uninsulated boots + insulated boot socks

"Cold" (Rifle season) - all from above + bibs, MT050 Cold weather parka shell, boots + boot socks

Cold enought to stick and aluminum arrow to your tongue (late season) - All from above, the entire Parka and bibs and any other clothing i can find that will fit.

So thats what I have now. There SHOULD be at least one more jacket in there for "mid season" (Fleece pullover type) because 35 in the morning gets REAL cold before it warms up and after a nice walk in.

"Cold" should include insulated boots that I don't have to steal form my dad and an actual coat that isn't about 2 sizes to big (Anyone know of a 7 in 1 parka that ISN'T to big when only wearing the shell and to small when wearing it all?)

So I am OKAY but have a lot more to go... but a lot of my buddies have enough for 1 tempeture zone and are looking at no less then 100 - 200 / zone if they are lucky, smart, and buy reusable stuff

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I buy my stuff in spring when hunting season is all over with.
    I never had scent control clothing before but this last spring I bought Scent-lock savannah pants and jacket for about $120 including tax for both pieces...

Buying stuff now just drains your wallet. It's like going to your shop to have your hunting bow re-strung right now.... Gee, they might get to you in December...

I really take advantage of the after season sales/clearance/closeouts/etc...

My general rule of thumb is that I only pay full/retail price for gasoline and that's because you have no choice... A few exceptions come here and there but you need to do a little shopping around and haggling...

Ron

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Thats what I try to do also, or I visit the bargain cave often for some 50%+ off stuff but its just pure luck at that point.

6. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I bought 80% of the camo I have now 2 years ago in the end of Jan when Cabelas has their big sales to get rid of previous years stuff.

Do with out this year and see what goes on sale at the end of the season!

7. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

I buy what ever is on sale and keep it till it rots:biggrin1: I dont fool with under armour scent lok and all that stuff. 15.00 each for a pair of pants and a shirt in wal mart. If I havnt killed my deer before it starts to get cold I just put on a pair of sweats underneath and I am good to go. I waited till the end of the year last year and bought a 100.00 remington coat on clearance for 35.00 at wally world.

8. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I bought a brand new scentblocker switchback suit on ebay for $130. Its just like the outfitter series without the removable fleece liner. Nicest stuff I have ever used, and I bought the new dream season boots, I had some money put back for this season, new bow, new camo, boots, stands, range finder, I spent a lot!! Figure I better do it now before a wife and kids, yikes. We will see if it helps.

9. QSA

Kind of my point with my set up. The camo is a outer cover very thin. Warm I ware t shirt and jeans, colder a light jacket pull over, very cold a fleece pullover and thick soaks and long johns. Then put on the outer camo.
    We are lucky to see any blow freezing weather around here any more. It has not really snowed in 3 years

10. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Not so much in Illinois, you will freeze your nerts off of you don't have good layering practices and some nice windblocker gear. It does tend to get expensive, I hear bow prices are going up significantly for 2008?? Anyone else hear that:censored: :censored: :frusty:

11. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I'm the same way.Buy it after the season is over when their dropping the prices on it.It will only be higher the following season.

12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Yup 2 weeks after X-Mas the bargin cave is literally overflowing with stuff! I got my MT050 stuff there for about 60% of the original price (still 200.00 or so)

But WHY do we have to do this? Can anyone tell me why a fleece (which has been around for years) outfit will set you back over 100.00 when I can drive to Walmart and put one together off the shelf for 50?

13. QSA

If no one jumps on me I can tell you all a trick I learned for riding a motorcycle year round. Back then it use to stay under 32 all winter long here. Some times in the teens and lower. But I use to eide 35 miles one way to work and back. So here we go.
    Put on you winter close the find a good fitting rain suit. Then put on light camo. The rain suit will keep the wind out and body heat in. can keep scent in also. Wind can not get through the plastic. You body heat can not get out

14. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

well there is no fun if I can't attack ya! :laugh:

wouldn't you get drenched from the perspiration? I have a "DryPlus" rain jacket from Cabelas (woohoo 55% off in the bargain cave) and I wear it for fishing but I get soaked with perspiration because it doesn't have any escape...

15. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Camo!

When I was in my 20's I hunted in all weather and had all the gear!
    Now in my late 40's ive learned to fill my freezer before it gets to cold!
    I gettem in Bowseason and blackpowder Nov 15 or 20 Im done!:noidea:
    Unless I havent caught up with that biggin yet!:laugh:
    Then Dreadly, I grin and bear it!
    I layer the clothes too,but only the outside is Camo.

16. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

but deer have X-Ray vision! didn't you know!?!?! Thats why they make camo boxers!

17. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

I know!

My old lady wears them!:laugh:

18. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Why are most of the clothes so expensive? The same reason there are so many $700-$800 bows being sold. Because people keep buying. Simple as that.

19. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

I agree!

MONEY: people will pay for it!
    I just talked to a huntin buddy that went out and bought a $2000.00 Crossbow package that shoots 405fps
    Price didnt matter he wanted that speed, Put it on the card!:noidea:
    He's not gonna bowhunt 1 more year with the other club members killing big bucks at 60yds with a crossbow hes gotta have one, no matter what the price!:frusty:
    Thats the attitude of today!
    Stores: jack the price up, They will empty there wallets for it!:doh:

20. QSA

I gurss I am a cheap sob. I buy used lol and maybe that is why I have so much. I just find it hard to buy a 30,000 dollars car when my 400.00 car will go just a far and just as good. I have only bought 3 new bows 2 for my girls and 1 for my oldest girls boy friend. He is paying me back. But I have a monsterbow coming one day lol.
    So the ads is a good place to look. Just like stores after season is over. I picked you 4 dozen easton arrows for under 75 dollars at Dick's sporting goods.