Where did he go?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by thechosen1, Jul 23, 2008.

1. thechosen1

thechosen1 New Member

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and had a couple of questions about a certain buck I plan to take down in the 2008 season. I have used a cuddeback expert digital camera since this last deer season and finally found a trail a 10 point uses. However a week later I wasn't getting any more pictures of him. I use scentlok clothing when retrieving memory cards and I haven't spooked him. Any advice that can help me get this buck back on the memory card?

2. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

Welcome:welcome:

Your question is the million dollar question....My advice would be to leave him alone...Maybe try to glass nerby feilds in the evenings from a distance. It also depends on hunting pressure..Our deer our so pressured we stay as far away as possible this time of the year.

My best guess is he changed his feeding routine due to something becoming better tasting in a different area. Good luck and remember it's only pre game warm ups now..no need to full court press until the fourth quarter.

3. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I agree with dawg, you're not trying to get him now, you are trying to take him out during deer season. Let him be for now and try to find out where he will be or might be come deer season. Glassing fields would be the best bet for now.

I too use trail cams but I am not trying to capture the same big buck every time. I use my cams so I can get a sense of what deer are out there. I tried using them in the summer to pattern deer but that didn't work out too well. I had a spot where during the summer I was getting pictures like crazy and come deer season there wasn't much sign of deer and I saw very few. Come deer season you need to know where the deer are now, not where they were two months ago.

Hope this helps

4. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

may have gotten hit by a car.........:tape:

5. thechosen1

thechosen1 New Member

Thanks guys for the replies. I guess I get a little OCD when it comes to deer. Hopefully he'll come back for a pair of white oaks not 100 yards from the camera location. I hunt in an extremely pressured area( farm country with a bunch of old farts shooting at anything with horns). There is no management what so ever and nothing is changing anytime soon. This is probaly the largest deer within a mile. I'll back off a little for now but I hunt him hard in the fall.

6. hilltophunter

hilltophunter Junior Member

Good searching for sure!!! I agree that is a million dollar question . In some cases the summer pattern he is on will be nothing like his fall pattern.

7. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Something to keep in mind is that if your area is highly pressured, and you can control the land you hunt, keep the pressure on your property down and that's where the deer will be come hunting season. When the pressure rises on other parcels, the deer will move to where the pressure is non-existant.

Also, remember that your best shot at killing that deer is the first time you hunt that stand! If at all possible, identify all funnels and likely bedding and feeding spots from aireal or satalite photos and topo maps before placing any stands. This will give you the best opportunity to kill him.

Once he's on the ground, make sure to take lots of pics and post them up so we can see the success!!:cool: