Which Way?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Wheely, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I went and got me a bale of straw today for a target. I figure if the cops have a problem with it they will come and tell me, hopefully a warning before a ticket :doh: Anyway, so when I set this thing up, do I put the strings, holding the bale together, on the face of the target? What are my chances of hitting the twine and busting the bale open? :noidea:

2. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Tie more string around it, I just put up a 3/8 plywood back stop just incase I miss or shoot through. I had a miss fire one time and had to dig the arrow out of the house behind mes attic. Almost a pass through.

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Be careful. Call your local law enforcement and ask questions. I have a lot of cops that come into my shop. We were just talking about this. In the small town that our shop is in, it's not problem. However, 5 miles south in the big town. It's not a ticket....you can get arrested!!!

4. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

since they are across the street i would go ask them ..... show them you plan on building a back stop and as long as your neigbor doesnt care and they know when ytou are doing it i would not think it would be a problem.....

5. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

my backstop is my garage, I will be in a fenced yard (chainlink) and OK, Chris, since you mention getting arrested, I guess I will ask. Oh, and the side I will be shooting on is an empty lot

So, which way do I place the bale? It is wide with strings facing front.

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

now if you could just put the target in the closet and shoot from the kitchen , that would be perfect.......:biggrin1: :biggrin1:

7. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

:laugh: I have thought about that. My house has enough room to shoot about 25 yards, but I have kids and not willing to risk them running out of a side room :noidea:

8. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Wrap some extra string around it and shoot into the string. Unless you are using broadheads you shouldnt cut the strings.

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

just staple there shoes to the floor.....:noidea:

10. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Just lay it so the twine is facing you and put the bulls away from the twine. But I agree with Chris in some cities a bow is considered a firearm???? Don't know why but discharging a firearm within city limits is an arrestable offense.:tape:

11. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha,Wheels!

I wouldnt use a bale of hay!
    Your gonna shoot thru that stuff quick!
    Go to a feed & seed store and get a burlap bag the biggest they make.
    Then find some celophane wrap ( plastic wrap)
    Stuff it in tight and stitch it up.
    Cost about $10 and will last about 2 to 3 years
    If ya use bales use celser bales or cedar bales they will last a couple years but there expensive around here about $15 ea.:biggrin1:

12. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Seriously, if it's a standard 40# bale then it doessn't matter which way you put it. It's not going to stop arrows from a compound bow. Your garage is going to take a beating in short order.

That's the reason most archery clubs quit using straw bales some 20 years ago.

13. outdoorsman

i have a 15 dollar bag target i have been shooting at for 2 years and it is still stopping arrows

14. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I would think with her KE she would be fine for awhile. Just leave a gap behind it and when the arrows start stickin out then get rid of it.

15. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

:laugh: If they're over 12 you better use nails.:laugh: :laugh:

16. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Chris is right that you should call the local police and ask about it.

Illinois is particularly strict in enforcing weapon's laws. County and local town laws can be even harsher on top of that.

My 'range' is on over 5 acres of property so it's OK for me to shoot a bow, according to the local county office. If it were less than 5 acres it would be illegal.

Ron

17. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I was just planning on using until I can get a carpet or bag target made, then it will be spread out for a dog bed. Thanks, guys, I didn't even think about getting arrested. I will find out today.

18. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

So what are the chances that she'll be on the next episode of COPS? :biggrin1:

19. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

:doh:

Ron

20. outdoorsman

new song coming ? Bad Girls, Bad Girls, whatcha gonna do....