Wingspan and Draw Length

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Pbrown21, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Pbrown21

Pbrown21 New Member

I am considering a Long Draw bow and I have been told by two bow shops that I do not need a long draw but my question is "Is that because they don't have one in stock or I really don't need one" My wingspan is 79 inches. I have friends that have been shooting for a long time and they say that I definately need one. With a 79 inch wingspan will a 30 in draw work? help me decide thanks

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Dude how tall are you I am just curious?...

3. J.C.

J.C. New Member

79 - 15 = 64/2 = 32" draw

or 79/2.5 = 31.6" draw

You're a pretty big boy, aren't you?........:D

4. Pbrown21

Pbrown21 New Member

I am actually only 6' 2'' but my arms are really long

5. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

JC has got it right there :peace:

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

at 31-32 inch draw, your gonna need something you can really stretch out......

one things for sure, it will be fast:lol: :lol: :lol:

7. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Yep. I'm 6'2" and my wing span is 77". I thought mine was long

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

nuckle dragger???:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

anyway, shoot some of the bows you are interested in and find the one you like the best, and fits you the best:rockon:

9. Pbrown21

Pbrown21 New Member

J.C. what draw length do you shoot?
    Do you think the two bow shops that said I could get a way with a 30 are full of it?

10. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I shoot a 30.5" draw. I can shoot a 30 if I bend my bow arm a little.

Yeah, I think they're just trying to sell you the bows they have in stock. Most bows max out at 30".

11. Pbrown21

Pbrown21 New Member

Thanks for your help

12. J.C.

J.C. New Member

You're welcome

13. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

It's strange how all this plays out.I'm a tad over 6'4 and have a WS of 76 & 1/4 inches and using a string loop...shoot/feel the best at a 30"dl....i have fudged and shot a 31 pretty good.

14. Pbrown21

Pbrown21 New Member

Ichim2 so you feel the best with a shorter draw length? Which one feels better to you? In your opinion which draw length would you recommend? What kind of bows do you have

15. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

You are better off to have a bow that is a little short compared to a little long. A little short to me is 1/2" or less.

A lot regarding draw length depends on how you set up your anchor and bow arm. Some lock their elbows and with that style, I'd say you at least need a 31" bow at the minimum. Some bend their elbows a little and that is where it gets very shooter dependent. The more bend you put in your elbow, the more dependent you become on your muscles and their stamina. You want to use the alignment of your wrist to back skeletal structure to reduce the use of your muscles.

I would try to find a place with at least one bow that is long and draw it to anchor. Even if you don't like the brand, you can draw it and feel the length to see if it is comfortable. Then you can make your own opinion and stop relying on the shop guy trying to clear his rack......:biggrin1:

Good luck and keep your knuckles out of the mud.......:bowl: :bowl:

16. UltraElite 06

UltraElite 06 Vote for Pedro

If you are new to shooting archery and are not exactly sure of your draw length if you think you need a 30" draw buy a bow that is adjustable 1" in each dirrection this way as you fine tune your anchor and release type you can adjust the bow easly without having to change cams.

17. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

I am 6'3"and I have a 76 inch wing span, 30.5 inch draw. You do have long arms not that you didnt know that. There are a few bows out there you can get in a 32 inch draw length.