Wisker Biscuit vs. Speed

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by phillip, May 3, 2008.

1. phillip

phillip Hog wild

Hey, how's everyone?
    Have any of you folks ever shot with a WB and then switched to another rest? and if you did how much speed did you gain?
    I started shooting a year ago and started with a wb and thats all I've ever used, just wondering if i could gain a little speed with a drop away or somthing like that.
    Any input from u folks would help a fellow.:wave:

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I dont think you would gain much. 2-3 fps maybe. a properly set-up dropaway would add alot to the forgiveness of the bow, though.

3. phillip

phillip Hog wild

Thanks J.C. for the input, like i said I've only used a wb but if a dropaway helps with forgiveness thats a big plus.

4. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I think you should try it and see if you gain any speed :wave:
    It just does not make sense to me that a WB doesn't slow your arrow down. :noidea:

5. Maybee-R

Maybee-R Member

J.C. Is correct I tested both and only found about 4 fps difference. I didnt check the new designed ones that have three bristles instead of the full circle.

6. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

mines faster without the wb, i love the rest i bought it still has the advantage of the containmant system but it doubles as a fall away.

7. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

I shot a WB before I switched to a Trophy Taker. I only gained a few FPS, but the bow shot better. I think it had something to do with the fact that a dropaway imparts no influences at the moment of the shot.

8. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I only gained 3 fps when I switched from the WB.

9. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

i know you dont gain a lot in speed

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Yep...only about 3fps.:D

11. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

Ditto this.

12. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

I would take a fall away rest over a whisker biscuit any day no fletching interferance for one I can not see how anyone would even use a whisker biscuit any way you look at it you have fletching interferance:deadhorse:

13. I use it because I hunt by using the stalking method not the sit and wait method, and there is no way I would trust my arrow to any other type of arrow rest other then the WB. For shooting at targets in a controlled enviroment then I can see no real need for using the WB, but for stalking you can't beat it. If you tune everything right then the fletching issue is a no issue, you just have to be willing to take the time to tune it right

14. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Have you ever tried a WB??:noidea:

15. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I used to use a WB and there are clearly pros and cons.
    Pros are that it's full capture and nice for hunting. Very simple design. I also did not find it hard to tune at all. No moving parts like springs, bearings, launcher and such. That is a big plus for hunting.

Cons is that it's tough on fletching. You WILL tear up vanes eventually, not doubt about it. I imagine that you lose a bit of speed with it but I cannot imagine that it's a significant amount. You also cannot use quickspin vanes with a WB. You'll tear them up. Been there, done that.

When I sold my WB and went to a drop away I also switched to feathers instead of vanes. A bit better FOC and a bit lighter arrow. Feathers have their cons too, like they are a PITA to put on...

WB's are good rests though, especially for hunting and, in particular, stalking.

There are some drop aways now that are full containment although I don't use one of those... Yet...

Ron