Wooden stabilizer?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by emac0408, Mar 9, 2008.

1. emac0408

emac0408 Junior Member

Hey everyone,
    Is there any reason why a stabilizer couldn't be made out of wood with metal weights on the end (other than moisture issues)?

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I guess it would depend on the length......strength issues would be my first thought........

3. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

yep

With wood,I would worry about, when it got wet, warping.
    How about plastic like PVC 1inch pipe with metal on both ends:noidea:

4. emac0408

emac0408 Junior Member

That's a great idea, thanks!

5. HCAman

HCAman New Member

Strength of the material on the mounting end would be my first concern with wood or PVC. Let us know what you come up with!!!

6. 12RINGHUNTER

12RINGHUNTER SPRINGERMAN

What!! Wood Stabilizer

Been there and done that! Just had some fun over the winter. Paint matched my marble CSS.Sorry for the pictures but I'm not a very good camera man or a stabilizer maker. But they do work!! I call the one my club if I don't beat them with my score I'll beat them with my club stabilizer. NOT!!! Just had fun.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  7. Paul S.

Paul S. I do not follow!

I seen a stabilizer that someone turned on a lathe once...it looked like crap.:tape: It looked like they put a table leg on their bow. :doh:

8. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

There is a guy at my club that will make one out of anything...currently he has a 1/2 a golf club with a weight on the end for a stabilizer :noidea:

9. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

:laugh:

Overall weight would be an issue. The thing you strive to do with a stab is get weight at the ends and NOT in the middle. The further out the weight is concentrated from the bow the better the moment of interia is to help stabilize the bow. That goes for left to right and rear-ward stabilizatrion as well.

The best you could hope for is weight on the end of a legally, depending on the sanctioning body, long tube/shaft/pole that weighed absolutly nothing. Of course a wood table leg would not fit that description...

Ron

10. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

SWEET ! Got a pic ? We'd all love to see that... :bowl:

Ron

11. I have made a couple. One was out of nice walnut and it looked great on a camo bow. The other I still have is made out of purple heart and looks great on red target bows. They are both 12 inches long and hollow and have weights built into the end caps. There are soft rubber strips inside to add weight and reduce vibrations. I drilled through to the inside at the base and epoxied in place a 2 inch, 5/16 X 24 headed bolt. I can assure you that there's plenty of strength. I'll see if I can find a pic...

12. emac0408

emac0408 Junior Member

OMG!!! That's awesome! I'm gonna slap a five iron onto the front of my bow!

13. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

lol...I will get a pic of it on Thursday if I can. He will be there...he is always there!

14. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

SWEET ! While your waiting between 3D targets you can get a little chipping practice in ! :peace:

Ron

15. I sold the walnut stabilizer but here's the purple heart.