yardage??????????

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by NUT, May 3, 2007.

1. NUT

NUT Junior Member

i'm fairly new to competitive archery, and i do pretty good but more times than not i'll miss judge a shot or 2 and cost me 1 or 2 places in the tournament. i need to be more consistant. suggestions please!!!!!

2. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

WELCOME glad to have you with us.:rockon: I use the cut in half rule and go from there. Practice is the best thing for accurate yardage estimating. I use to do alot of stump shooting to get better. I do not shoot alot of 3d but alot of fellas on here do so I'll bet they can get you some good ideas for getting better just give them all a while to check in. :peace:

3. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Carry a range finder everywhere you go. Spend time guessing the range and checking it with the RF. Front yard, back yard, parking lots, woods. In no time at all you will be right on, or just a yard or so off.

4. NUT

NUT Junior Member

thanks guys. greatly appreciated

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

get a faster bow....:noidea:

the other guys have good answers.....:rockon:

6. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

This is what I do and it might work for you. I find 20 yards first and go from there to the target and then I find half way and double it. Then I come from the target back 10 yards and come back from there. If I get 2 different numbers say 38 and 40 yards I split the difference and dail it for 39. On the half way I usually add 1 yard to what I dail for forgivness. Hope some of this helps you good luck.

7. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

all these are good.
    I will try ta find 5 yds then I step down ta 2 1/2 yards and ta 10 then 2.5 yrds intervals till I get ta tha target.
    I Also go 5 yrds some times to 10 yrds then 5 yrd intervals to target.just depends on what type of ground I am tryin ta range.
    Sometimes when it really hard ta flesh out I will count 1 yard at a time. what ever it takes ta look it over.

I will look first and say that is 37 yards than look at tha yards from one of tha systems.

Clear as mud................ sure.....................Smokes:smokin:

8. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

Get a bunch of stakes. Set a target up in the woods. Then take the stakes and put one every 5 yards till you get to around 50 to 60 yds. then pick a stake to start at. this will let you see what 5 yards looks like. Its easier to judge 5 yards than 10 or 20. Its a good practice to use. Even at shorter distances like 30 and 40 yards. Gapping works fine for targets up to 40 yards. But its real tough to gap at 50 or farther. Plus, you'll find more terrain to use to judge at 5 yards compaired to 10 or 20 yards. Once you've used this method just a few times. you'll notice how more percise you will get. After using this method for 2 years I can accurately judge to the half yard. Try it for a couple of weeks and see how much closer you can judge. Also, use different settings. Like change terrain and angles.. Good luck..

9. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

:noidea: I just take a wild guess and hope I hit the target :laugh:

Ok, actually I look at other landmarks that are closer and count the yardage in smaller numbers, 10-20 yds at a time.

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

heres one you can try......get a hat, write down all the yardage from 5-50.....shake up the hat.....draw one, shoot the target for that much....did you hit it??? no....guess its not your lucky day:noidea: :biggrin1:

11. whitetail99

whitetail99 Senior Member

Stare and stare at 20 yards until it burns in your memory. Then work on longer yardage.

12. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

This method would probably work better for me.:laugh:

13. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

you can also get you a forty or fifty yard rope and tie makers on it at 5 or 10 yard intervals what ever is best for you and take it to the woods or your local city park and stretch it out on flat land then up then down hill. This helped me alot. I learned this off michle Bradens coaching DVD.

14. dano1977

dano1977 Senior Member

Take a peice of rope(30 yrds long) with a flag tied on it, tie it to you, walk around, turn and look at it. This will get you used to looking at certain distances. Rangefinders are also a very good tool.

15. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Tie a rope to yourself? That sounds like trouble to me. :noidea:

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

a little clumsy are we???:noidea: :tape:

17. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

not me, I just don't think I will be tying any ropes to me and walking around, although I might fit right in with all the crazy's in this town. :laugh:

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

how is that LIP any way????

19. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

here's the tried and true hoyt_hunter method :peace:

1. draw bow
    2. close eyes
    3. spin in circle
    4. pull trigger
    5. while arrow is in flight, dance and chant "In the 12, In the 12, In the 12..."

I hope this method brings you as much success as it as to me :biggrin1:

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:doh: :doh: