Your comfort range?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by philg, Jul 27, 2007.

1. philg

philg Member

What is your max range to shoot a deer (and get your desired results), all things being ideal for such a shot?

2. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

Now that I am back shooting at least once a week, I have no problem taking a 45 yard shot on a deer. I am certain I am good to about 60, but I think 45 is far enough.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

30 yrds is my outer limit......we are bow hunting here.....your supposed to get them close....:noidea:

4. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

40 yards is as far as i'm willing to shoot at a deer. as long as the conditions are right.

5. 62flint

62flint Member

For me about 30 yards. I can shoot killing size groups farther. I just don't feel comfortable shooting a critter farther than that. To much in my mind that can go wrong. Besides my longest shot at a deer yet is about 25 yards. If I want to kill them across the field I will use my 270. :biggrin1:

6. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

40 yards for me. I am working on moving back to fifty just in case I ever get the chance to go out west.

7. J.C.

J.C. New Member

25-30, but I prefer 10. :biggrin1:

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

9. punchfree

punchfree Junior Member

25 to 35 yards is ok for me(comfort zone),but I will shoot confidently out to 45

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  10. gmherps

gmherps Senior Member

40 yards is it!

11. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

42 yards (that's as far as I can shoot in my yard for practice), if the conditions are perfect.

Ben

12. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

How did you come up with 42 as your distance:noidea: Why not 40 or 45?

13. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Member

50 yrds. with the right conditions. I killed one 2yrs ago at this distance. Double lung shot, complete pass through, and the deer went down within 75 yrds.
    I do put in the practice time to make this shot without hesitation. Most of my shots come at 25-30 yrds though.

14. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Perfect conditions..................30yards. With a wild critter there are too many variables for me.:peace:

15. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

I'd go 30-35 yards. That's the limit on my backyard shooting.

16. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I practice out ta 46 yards from my treestand in a walnut tree. 40 has been tha farthest I knew tha yardage and it was a clear shot-and mind you I practice nearly everyday shootin and with my equipment ,broadheads for 5 weeks prior to tha season.
    Whih by tha way is only 8 weeks away. praise God!
    Yup conditions will rule.
    I do stronly suggest and greatly prefer tha 10 yard range as mentioned earlier.

I would also suggest that ya take a Bowhunter Education Course even if ya have been huntin' fer many years for it is so valuable in all aspects of huntin' and especially tha shootin' parts.

17. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I try to stay under 30 yards from a treestand... but I did shoot a little one 2 years ago at about 35 yards. Knocked all the spots off when I hit it! :lol:

18. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

You know tha shot placement word ..
    Pick a spot.
    So if they got spots .....Pick one!:laugh:

19. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I like to keep them inside 30...but if I have to I'll take a 40 with confidence...

20. papito

papito Petering it since 06

Its all about confidence