youth bows

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by catsup, Nov 12, 2007.

1. catsup

catsup Junior Member

hi everybody.

i have been researching the purchase of a recurve bow for an 8 yr old girl. she is left handed. after looking at Fred Bear bows, i think the PSE buckeye jr. looks good but i am unsure about pull weights. the buckeye jr. is #20. i worry that she will quickly get too strong and need #25 or #30. (i don't know a thing about archery.) $100. for a bow is about my limit. also, what kind of arrows should i get?

:)catsup:wave:

2. Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 Senior Member

Hats off to you! Nice job gettin that girl into Archery! as far as the bow I know very little about recurve bows but the 20# pull could easily be mastered in short time depending on the teacher. However If she enjoys it then thats the point and unless you want her to go hunting the light poundage is probablly best...it needs to be easy, not a struggle to pull back.:D Good luck to you and the girl!

3. murphra

murphra Junior Member

I took my 8 yr old son to the local archery shop to see what he could pull back fairly easily. he was able to get 35 lbs with not too much effort. He is an excellent athlete for 8 and maybe just a bit stronger than the average 8yr old - hope this helps.

4. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

look at the PSE Heritage series for kids. Nice bows...

5. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

About the arrows for a recurve wooden arrows are fine, Aluminum are good also. But now days its all about carbon. They are not going to bend like alum will. And now days you can get a very nice carbon arrow for a nice price. The only thing is with carbon be sure to flex the shafts and inspect them for damage after each shot. They will come apart sometimes and can injure the shooter but with flexing and inspection it is not likely to happen. If you see a questionable mark on the arrow, its better to trash it than to take a chance. Your shop should be able to match up correct size and spine arrows to your bow. Good luck and enjoy.:peace:

6. Clueless dad

Clueless dad Junior Member

Seeking sage advice for 11yr old 1st bow

OK, so I know very little about this sport except that my sons seem to have an interest. My 15 yr old shot in Scout camp and loved it, now my 11 year old is asking for a bow. I'm looking for a bow for the 11 yr old, but it would be great if the older one could also use it sometimes. I should also mention I have a 9 yr old daughter with amazing upper body strength that who knows if will develop an interest.

Choices - I've found a Hoyt Banshee, a Darton, Browning Micro Adrenaline, and the Genesis bow, all used, prices ranging from $100-$200.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

7. Werd

Werd Senior Member

Hey Clueless. I dont think that would really work. depending on size, the DrawLengh is going to be way to short and hes not going to get tru accuracy with it. plus he could hurt himself from strings hitting his arm due to short DL

8. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

What you are going to want is find out draw weight max and minimum, draw lengths. You want to make sure the bow you get isnt at the tail end of its use. Or just the opposite. to much weight and draw to long. Find a medium. If you get the chance for her to shoot these... do so. If you are purchasing online. its a crap shoot. My personall experience with micro-adrenalin and banshee, genisis are great. I dont have any experience with the Darton.. The one nice thing about the micro drenalin is... depending on year... you can get different oundage limbs from 20-50 lbs. The micro-adrenalin and micro midas are basically the same bow minus cao riser and poundages....

9. SinGin

SinGin Banned

I bought both of my daughters the browning micro adrealine. The draw lenght can be adjusted with just an allen wrench and no bow press, so if some of their girlfriends come over I can adjust the lenght for them in about two min.

10. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

The Genesis is not DL specific so I would say it is a fantastic starter bow.

My son started with a Parker Buckshot. It is DL adjustable from 18-28 inches. I bought a new Buckshot Outfitter package for around $300. Thats the bow,sight,peep,rest,quiver,arrows. All I added was stabalizer and sling. And bought a youth release.