1st Deer??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by BUNNYMAN, Sep 4, 2006.

1. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

How big was your first deer shot w/a bow?? was it buck, doe, both??? How long had you been hunting????

Mine was a nice little six pointer that I thought was a spike when I shot it....
    it was getting pretty late and the antlers on that deer were very dark....

I started hunting when I was 14, and shot that deer when I was 16, will remember that forever I think.....

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

My first deer with a bow was a button buck. I thought it was a doe. I was very excited anyway. About 100 lbs.

3. ridgewalker243

ridgewalker243 Member

first

My first deer was also a button buck. Same idea, thought it was a doe and stuck him at the bottom of my ladder. I was 12 yrs old and started hunting at 10. I was defintly hooked after that. Later that year I shot my fist buck with a rifle. Floppy horned 10 point some guy told us. When my parents pushed him out to me he dwindleld down to a four point some how:noidea: And every body wonders how storys get started.

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

how can the first deer you shoot be both? :noidea:

anyway - my first was a doe, about 80 pounds dressed out, give or take

5. SCDeerHunter

SCDeerHunter Junior Member

My brother in law shot a doe last year that had some sort of deformed antlers on her head. Thats how its both!!!:noidea:

6. ridgewalker243

ridgewalker243 Member

first

Dredly

"how can the first deer you shoot be both?"

Where I come from a button buck is a doe. So my first deer was a doe and my first buck was a 4 point.

Didn't think is was that hard to understand.

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Glad other people have the same wacky deer that we do.......

8. chuck7413

chuck7413 Senior Member

My first deer was also a button buck.

9. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

My first w/ a bow was a doe.
    Started hunting when I was 13, Started bowhunting when I was 20.

10. Home-a-lite

Home-a-lite Member

I started bowhunting at age 16. I did not kill a deer ( with a bow ) until I was 21. Knowing what I know now, I should not have even been in the woods with a bow until age 20. I lacked the skills and knowledge to be carrying a bow. That all changed at age 20 when my Dad and I found a great archery shop. New equipment, a great teacher, and a lot of practicing later, I was truly ready. My second season with the new equipment ( and confidence ) I arrowed an 80-85 inch seven point at 13 steps while hunting from the ground after using my grunt call to bring him in. Now I'd rather not pick up a rifle. I can honestly say I'm ADDICTED......first deer( a buck), first ever response to a grunt call and at "spitting" distance. How could you not be addicted after that?!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  11. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

No bragging rights here... my neighbor’s dog was bigger than my first deer. :doh:

12. deerkiller

deerkiller Member

My first gun deer was a doe(13yrs) and my first buck was with my bow four years later!!!! I am now 28 and have never shot a buck with my rifle but have 7 bucks with my bow and 2 are hangers!!!! I LOVE BOW HUNTING!!!!:peace:

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I may get my self in doodoo, but was the dog tender??????

Did it come w/porkfried rice??????

14. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

The cat came with the rice... the dog came with noodles. Yum!

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

my mistake!!!!:tape:

16. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

my first was a doe, both with a gun and bow, first bow kill was age 14 first year of hunting with a bow. Then i kinda got out of bowhunting, now im back in, been mostly elk hunting for the past few years, just getting into the heavy deer hunting with a bow this year!! all i can say is fun fun fun!!!

17. kspsefamilyman

kspsefamilyman Junior Member

my first buck was an old six pointer i was sitting on the ground and he walked through at twenty yards. i was 21 and didnt know much, im twenty three now and have studied my stuff off and realize i was pretty darn lucky. i shot a 140 class buck last year and three does with my bow so im doing good and hope to have the same success this year.

18. Hoyt101

Hoyt101 Banned

First deer with a rifle I was 12 and it was a 85 pounds give or take a few cause its head was laying on the ground when I weighed it first Deer with a Bow was last year it wasa 100 pound doe and then 2 weeks later I shoot a 8 point with a kicker the antlers are in my room but it was only 15 1/2 spread we have a thing at my house the deer must be atleast 8 points with a spread wider then 18 inches to be mounted yup yup i hope i get one this year I saw
    2 yesterday mornin but the wear does and a little to small!!

19. roosevelt

roosevelt Junior Member

i shot my first deer last year, it was a spike. i never have deer hunted, i hunt elk and if i see a deer close enough to shoot, i will shoot it. my first year of hunting, 7 years ago, i shot a coyote, that was my first bow kill. the deer i shot last year was dumb as they come too, i spooked him and a doe and then he walked back up to me within 15 yards and stood broadside, he never ran, i shot him and he walked away real slow.

20. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

First deer with a bow was a 9-pointer 5 nice pretty points on the left and the right side had been broken and was growing downward w/4 points. He was running at 17 yards when I shot him with an old Indian bow shooting instinct. Wow was I ever lucky.:biggrin1: My brother was about 75 yards away and could'nt believe it. The deer piled up about 25 yards away. Oh and did I mention the reason he was running.............................a friend had already shot the deer about 75 yards away from me and I did'nt know it. So we shared the meat.