2 newbies getting started in Memphis, TN

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by SandSquid, Aug 29, 2008.

1. SandSquid

SandSquid Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

Ahoy,

My daughter and wife are interested in getting into archery. Indoor/target mainly. I know better than to try and teach them all my bad habits.

Was at the local shop, (Everything Archery) and they seemed like good folks, but are really busy with hunting season upcoming. I am waiting on one of their recommended instructors to call me back and set up a session or two with them.

Wondering of there are any qualified folks here that might be interested in helping them get started correctly.

And lastly, looking to see if anybody has a used Genesis/Genesis-Pro they want to sell.

--
    SandSquid
    Life Liberty and the pursuit of all who threaten it.

2. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Welcome :wave:

There is a lot of help here as soon as they find the thread.

I could get them the right apparral for their arrows (quiver) and bows (bow cases) :peace:

3. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

:
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Oh btw :welcome: from tha other end of TN

4. SandSquid

I'm in no hurry, though they are. ;-)

Can you match O.P.I. colors?-)

5. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

:noidea: what are the colors. I can get quite a few colors

6. SandSquid

It depends on what she is in the mood for...
    This week it's Bogota Blackberry
    [​IMG]
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

How old is your daughter?

8. SandSquid

15 (fifteen)

9. dbdcougar

Then I would look a different direction than the Genesis, they are fine for young children but she is plenty old enough to handle a regular target bow. Have both of them measured for draw length and then let them go shoot as many models (set up correctly for them) as they can. They will find what works for them, with so many good bows out there it is mostly a matter of personal preference.

10. SandSquid

My primary motivator behind the Genesis are the claims; "no specific draw length requirement" and "everybody in the family can shoot the same bow"

This sounds appealing to me from the financial side, as I would not need to have 1 bow set up for my wife and 1 bow set up for my daughter, who have close but not the same draw length.

Simply stated, I honestly cannot afford to go buy them each their own bows, and don’t want to invest too much $$$ out of the gate in case this is just another passing fancy.

IF (when) the decide they are serious about continuing, I can later get them into their own dedicated rigs set up specifically for them.

Perhaps I am operating under some false logic here?????

11. Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone Senior Member

Tell you what

Im always willing to help a soldier out. I have some items that might just help you get them set up. Got this Carter release no one seems to want for sale. Got other stuff as well. Arrows etc and other stuff. Be glad to give it to a family to help out. Really good thumb trigger release.
    Just pm me and will work out the details. Consider the Browning Micro Midas as well.
    Its a good youth bow that can be adjusted to different draws pretty easy.

PS
    Love the uncle sam canoe comment. Funny Stuff.

12. Daniel Boone

Instructors

Javi here teachs archery. Bet he would be more than willing to give you the tips to teach them via phone or PM. Might give him a pm.
    DB

13. dbdcougar

The Genesis has no let off and really at their age they aren't going to be happy with a children's bow (I don't care, you can't tell me that's not what it is!) You don't have to start with an $800.00 bow, but if you don't get them something they are going to like and feel good about shooting they will be far more likely to give up on it and now you have lost them for good - or at least a good while. Take the money DB is going to save you and get something else besides a Genesis.

14. Daniel Boone

Very limited budget here $200.00

Open to any suggestions on a good all around bow. If there a better bow let me know.

I most likely can hook him up with a rest, sight, and release and maybe some arrows. If not I do some begging.
    DB

15. Daniel Boone

Might have him fixed

Ill run y and look at one in my buddys shop that might fir the bill.

Older PSE Spiret Jr bow. 40lb bow adjustable draw.
    Has assc. Ill check it out. If it looks good the price is right for sure. Way under budget.
    DB

16. J.A.G.

J.A.G. Senior Member

Dan can find some good deals on bows! :gossip: :thumb:

17. SandSquid

See, therein lies the problem… because I am Dad, I am automatically not listened to.
    Well not really, but I have found in most subjects on instructions, they tend to listen and respond better if it is coming from someone besides me.

For example, I'd much rather instruct them myself for free at home than pay $$$ a month for lessons at the local (martial arts) Dojo. But at least I get a healthy discount for my family because I am also an instructor at the school. But they do not come to my classes, and I will only function as an assistant in their classes.

Also I do not want to impart my bad habit on them.

18. SandSquid

That's the plan!

19. Daniel Boone

Sounds advise

Its tough for Dads to be coach sometimes for sure. Good for kids to get instrucations from others. Maybe we can find a Joad coach somewhere in your area.
    DB
    DB
    DB

20. dbdcougar

Good man :thumb: