20 yrs girl(me) MO state champ, father dies haven't shot since

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by Jennifer Leadbetter, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Jennifer Leadbetter

Jennifer Leadbetter New Member

Hello! My name Is Jennifer Leadbetter, my father Lonnie Leadbetter and I LOVED archery! So much we shot everyday since I was age 5. Every weekend on Sundays we go to 3-d Mckenzie target shoots, both would come out winners, we loved it and we were good at it.. My dad past in work accident at age 51, I was only 17.. I'm now 32 and I haven't shot my bow since.. I still now but as u can imagine, needs updated and many repairs, my father did all that for me so I would like to carry on his traditions he made with me and reach out for help on getting back on track, please and thanku and godbless ! View attachment 27677 :wave:

2. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings New Member

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your father. If you still have the passion you should get back into archery. The internet is a great place to learn about archery. Before you know it you can work on your own bow.

3. Jennifer Leadbetter

Thanku, I'm trying stumped already, now string broke on me so figuring out if shops will string them for u or not... I'm planning on getting back into archery. I hope it's like riding a bike. Cuz in the 1990's I won Missouri state championships. I wish I never hung it up, but without my dad I just couldn't.

4. Hutch

Hutch Bow String Depot

Welcome to the Forum Jennifer,
    Sorry to hear about your father. But I am glad you are not giving up on archery. Its a great sport to stick with. If you need anything let us know!

Hutch

5. Jennifer Leadbetter

Thanks for the link!! And thanku overall! Yes I agree archery is a great sport! I do have one question tho, my bow is over 20 years old, does anyone think it's still ok for me to shoot considering I was 15 years old when shooting with it last? Lol it's a Clearwater, just wondering about draw length and what not but I haven't grown mych so I'm thinking it will b ok,

6. andre179

andre179 Administrator

Welcome to the community, Jennifer! Really glad to have you here and back in the 3Dshoots saddle. What kind of bow do you shoot?

7. longhammer

longhammer Junior Member

Hi Jennifer! Your old bow might still fit you but in 20 years there has been a lot of improvements. The thing is cost. It won't cost you much to put a new string on. The strings have improved greatly to. but a new bow will set you back a few hundred or over a thousand $. You could probably get a nice used one off ebay. There are some people who want the latest and newest. So they are getting rid of there bows every year. Just decide what poundage you want, determine your draw length, Then start looking. When you find one you think you like check for some reviews on internet on that particular bow. My son got out of shooting for last ten years. and picked up a nice bow for $225 it was bare bow but still a nice one. If you went to shoots in your area years ago find them again I am sure somebody there would be willing to help you get set up. good luck

8. cjcklink

cjcklink New Member

Jenn, In the last 20 years the technology of archery has made leaps and bounds. Your best bet if you can, is to look into some new equipment. I can only suggest that you find a good archery pro shop and have them help you get rigged up. The pro shop will see to it your equipment fits you and functions as it was designed to. I'm so sorry about the loss of your Dad, but I'm happy that you aren't letting stop you from enjoying the sport both you and he loved. Once you are back in the swing of things I know your Dad will be smiling down on you. Wishing you all the best.....................................Chris