2008 Katera Review!!!

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by swintj1, Oct 24, 2007.

1. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Hi All!

Went to Scheels today, thinking about trading in my Vectrix for the Katera, so I had to go shoot it and see what it was like. Here is what the experience was like.

First Impressions:

I'm not a huge fan of the new camo design...too much green for my liking, but to each his own. Seeing the 6" Brace Height was a real eye opener for me in comparison with my Vectrix. (I brought the Vectrix in for optimum comparison) Picking the Katera up in the left hand and the Vectrix in the right hand, you can immediately notice the weight difference. I'm not going to say it is a pound lighter, but it is noticeable. Especially when you get it loaded up with a Quiver, Wisker Biscuit, and Sight. Holding the bow felt different...after analyzing it for a while I realized it is that the grip is different from the Vectrix's. The Vectrix's grip has a definite increase in width in the first inch of the grip, making it easy for your hand to find the slot...with the Katera's...it is still a well balanced bow and the hand does find the slot, although you can feel more of the grip. I did not like this, but a pair of side plates could quickly solve this problem. The green and white string, not really my thing again, like my Vectrix's orange and black one better, but, once again, not a big issue.

Shooting The Bow:

As stated earlier, the first thing I noticed was the lightness of the Katera. It is a much lighter bow than the Vectrix. I am not at all saying it is a "Light" bow, but it is significantly lighter, which is nice if you are going to be taking a lot of shots, or carrying your bow for long distances. The Brace Height didn't really bother me, I never noticed a difference when shooting the bow, but I'm sure it picks up more of my mistakes than the Vectrix, I just can't tell. Pulling the bow back was a much different experience. With my Vectrix, the first inch is rather easy, then resistence builds until the last 3 inches or so, then it lets off 75%. There is a distinctive dip when you pull the bow back...what I mean is you can see the transition into the let off zone. When shooting the Katera, there WASN'T that first inch of slack...it was stiff from the get go, and only builds more resistence as you pull it back. For the last 3" of the pull, I was expecting it to let off like my Vectrix, but it doesn't let off until the last 1/2". It is as if you are pulling the full weight the ENTIRE TIME. This isn't bad if you don't mind that feeling, but I enjoy knowing I'm in the "slot" when I feel the let off, and my hand easily travels the last 3" of the draw. With the Katera...you can hardly tell when the draw is over. The let off occurs so late in the draw, literally the last 1/2" you wonder if you have it back all the way. The let off is there because you don't feel much resistence, but you never felt the TRANSITION into the let off. I did not like this feeling personally, but it did make the pull much smoother. With the Vectrix, you pull hard for 80% of the draw, and then the last 20% gets really easy. With the Katera, about 95% is hard, then the last 5% is easy. So, in all, it is smoother, but harder to pull.

As far as slack in the back, with the Vectrix, there is some give at full draw. You can move your hand back and forth about 1/4 inch and the cams will move with the string. This gives you some lee-way if you are fatiguing and your string hand is moving. With the Katera, it is ROCK SOLID. There is no slack at all. If you move your string hand at all...it releases completely. You are either shooting, or you're not. This adds to the Solid feel of the Katera. Although it requires you to be at full draw and not at 99% draw like the Vectrix will let you be at, it also feels solid when you are at full draw and you are confident it is at FULL DRAW.

Releasing the arrows with the Katera was extremely fun. I had BOTH BOWS tuned at 63lbs, using the same 250 Carbon Express Maxima Arrows, both having wisker biscuits, both with the same peep...they were identical in set-up. The Katera has a definite POP to the release. You can see the arrow is going faster, and when I Chrono'd the two of them...

Vectrix: 63#, 29"DL, 250 CX Maxima = 270fps
    Katera: 63#, 29"DL, 250 CX Maxima = 279fps

So, 9-10fps faster. I shot about 10 arrows with each, and speeds with the Vectrix ranged from 269-270, Katera ranged from 276-280. The Katera's allignment was off for the first few shots, so speeds were a little less at the beginning, after the correction it settled at 279fps.

As far as ACCURACY, both bows were fantastic. As I touched on earlier, although the Katera is lighter, it is still heavier than your average bow, making stability easy to accomplish. From 10 yards, I had a spread of about 1/2", from 15 yards a spread of 1". The Vectrix was a little more stable and easy to get the pin stable on the target just because you are using more of your big muscles to stabilize the bow than with the Katera, but both are well balanced, stable bows.

Price: Katera: $729
    Vectrix: $729

There is no difference between the two of them, so ideally, if you can like the Katera more, I would say go for it. Unfortunately, I found that the Katera felt like I was pulling 5-7 pounds more weight than my Vectrix. We tested it 3 times because I struggled NOTICEABLY more pulling the Katera back compared to the Vectrix. Also, I enjoy the Let Off of the Vectrix. Because the let-off occurs earlier in the cycle, I feel the transition much easier and that gives me confidence that I am at full draw, compared to the Katera which I could BARELY feel when the let-off occurred.

Overall: I will be keeping my Vectrix. Although the Katera did shoot faster, the feel of the bow just did not impress me. It was harder to draw, it was lighter, which although it was nice when I picked it up comparing, I was more steady with the heavier bow. I also enjoy the brace height of 7" although I didn't completely feel the difference, I know it was there.

HOPE THIS HELPS!:rockon: :peace: :rockon: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

2. Michael396

Michael396 Member

Nice review! You appear to be very thorough and not biased to one or the other, just stating your preference. Good Job.

Michael

3. timberghost

timberghost Senior Member

Thanks for taking time to post this review. It has helped me. I'll still shoot the new bows. I don't think I'm going to like that draw though.

4. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Great review.. I will have to get to the shop soon and shoot the Katera. I really liked the Vectrix just couldn't see parting with my XT. But maybe mommy will let me get a backup bow??????:noidea: Thanks again for the review.

5. Maybee-R

Maybee-R Member

Great review. I'm not sure if I would give up 1 inch of BH. for 10 feet per second though.:noidea:

6. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

Great review. :thumb: Thanks for taking the time to share the nfo.

7. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

You should of ditched the xt. The vectrix is a shooter. I will not be trading mine in this year.

8. arrow1b

arrow1b Junior Member

vectrix xl 7.5 brace height these are my specs

27.5 inch 70#, my strings "452x",413 grn arrow, 284fps
    picked up 11fps with my strings and some tweaking over factory, I would never hunt with a bow with 6".

9. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

What is your poundage? Are you maxed out at 70#?

10. arrow1b

arrow1b Junior Member

yes, 70 lbs even

11. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

284 sounds pretty high, you might check that through some other chronographs, the trykon and the vectrix both are rated at 316 ibo, I am at 29" @ 65 lbs shooting a 390 grain arrow @ 280 through a WB, I would like to know what tweaks were made......?:noidea:

12. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

That is what I was thinking too. Even if we crank our Vectrix's up to 70#, I don't think we'll exceed 285fps...and that is with 29"DL. I don't know how a 27.5 is shooting at that speed....I love to know the mods also, along with the strings if they truly add that much speed.

13. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I have a set of TS1 wolfden strings and cables sitting at home....? 11fps is quite a jump just for strings. I kinda regret ordering blue and black, I should have gone with orange and black, they would probally look better.

14. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Do Custom strings really produce that much more speed over the stock Fuse Custom Strings? If I could get some strings that would push my bow up to the 280fps mark and still be around 65#, that would be sweet...what company is the best out there? What type of strings are the most durable/reliable?

15. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I know stone mountains picked up about 6 fps on my reflex. I don't know what the average increase in speed is?:noidea:

16. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

Generally speaking, not much.:cool: