2nd straight down miss

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by snagd1, Nov 9, 2007.

1. snagd1

snagd1 Junior Member

Last night I missed a 160 class or better 10 point that was right under the tree. Earlier in October i missed a large doe in the same situation. I have killed three other deer and a turkey with no problem at distances from 20 to 40 yards. I am shooting a mathews drenalin with a savage pendulum sight. Talk about really frustrating! He did goe a little farther out after the shot and turned for a real nice broad side shot, and I hit my bow hanger- off he went:frusty: . Makes for a not so good nights sleep. Anyone have any ideas how to shoot straight down better?

2. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Member

heres what you need to do!

go to your tree stand take a few targets,set them up at different locations,as close as you want to as far and take some shots and keep practising these extreme angle shots till they become second nature,,,,,i really dont see any other way,,,,,,,,,good luck......:peace:

3. BowTechArch

BowTechArch Senior Member

Aim higher.....

Take a practice arrow and try it first from the same stand..

4. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

arrange some dead fall around the base of your tree so they cant get there.:noidea:

5. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

I'd try a good tackle move myself:lol:

6. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Rambo had a good technique.....:peace:

7. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

I try not to shoot perpendicular to the deer on steep angle shots. Your left and right should be solid that close, so if you take the elevation out of the equation, by shooting at him in-line with his spine, It's a lot harder to miss.

Ben

8. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

OK hoss,
    you are gonna need ta practice this shot ta git use to it.
    Put you a target ,prefferable a foam deemr under your satnd
    Next
    i shoot a pedulunm site and it has pins incorperated in it as well
    tha pendulumn is not effective in these situations.
    I would venture ta say you shot 8" high,
    If you have a 20 yd pin hold it 6" lower than you want ta shoot.
    Now shootin straight down you must hold it right behind tha shoulder and down from tha middle of tha spine 6"....... Bingo.
    Go git em!