3d points?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by jessetjames, Feb 1, 2008.

1. jessetjames

jessetjames Junior Member

so can u give me any pointers on 3d? ill be starting some this year with my bow that hopefully ill get next week. hers my set up if u want to know.

martin moab

MBG flashpoint

Nap 360 rest

exp gold tip arrows

And Big thanks to Quick Stand Archery. a tru ball extreme thumb release.

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

your gonna want to get setup w/a decent stab.......and good binos!!!

get your self a string loop and go practice "guessing" yardage

3. Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone Senior Member

Learn to judge yardage

Get a good Nikon 440 rangefinder. Make it your best friend and practice often.

Shooting is the easy part. Judging yardage is must.
    DB

4. jessetjames

ok cool thanks :). can i use it on outdoor 3d corses or only indoor?

5. hitman846

hitman846 Non Camper

Here in Southern Wisconsin at our 3D shoots we have an option called "Donation". This allows a new shooter to shoot from anywhere he/she wants,you can still keep your score but you will not be put in a "class" with other shooters. When we post the results your score would be jessetjames........Donation. This is a pretty popular thing when a group of shooters show up with some new 3D'ers! :biggrin1: Good Luck and shoot straight! :biggrin1:

6. jessetjames

I dont really get what your saying about donation shooting?

7. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I think what he is saying Jesse is that your scores wouldn't count if there was prize money involved. You still have to pay to shoot but you can shoot from anywhere you feel comfortable...:noidea:

8. Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone Senior Member

Rangefinders

Rangefinders are not allowed during the shoot. For most 3d ranges. Often what we do is after we have shot we walk the course over and range the targets. But rangefinders are for practicing judgeing targets.
    DB

9. jessetjames

what about befor you shoot? like befor ur name is called can u quick range it or will you get in truble?

10. rshunter

rshunter Junior Member

If you are shooting for score, you can't really use range finders at all. Get you some good range finders then practice with them when you are not shooting 3-D. If you are practicing in the yard, make yourself guess the yardage then check it. Do this in the woods as well as in the open. Targets in the open, I always judge cold, or short for some reason. You could probably get away with range finders at a shoot if you were shooting for fun and didn't discuss yardage with the othrer shooters. Yardage estimation is a big part of 3-D. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  11. hitman846

hitman846 Non Camper

Right on Bully! :rockon:

12. Timmer

Timmer Member

Most important thing is just to have fun. Don't take it too seriously, there's plenty of time for that in the future. I've never used a rangefinder on a 3D course. It's pretty much considered cheating. I wouldn't see any problem with walking the course after you shot and ranging the targets though. That is unless you plan to shoot it again in a different class. Judging the yardage is the biggest challenge to shooting a course. It's great practice for hunting.

13. jessetjames

ok good deal :). Do some indoor shoots tell you how meany yards it is. like shoots a pro shop?

14. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Not usually, but if you're smart about it you can pretty much tell what the yardages are for indoor shoots. Usually, they let you warm up before you shoot. When warming up figure out what pin you need when shooting at the back wall. Then when you pull arrows from the back wall or any target, walk off the distance. If you know the distance to the back wall you can pretty much guess within a yard as to what each target is. Indoors is easy for guessing yardages, I wouldn't be worried about that. It's when you get outside that yardages get tough. Things will mess with you, like lighting, shadows, shooting in open areas vs. wooded, or shooting from an open area into a wooded area. This is what you need to practice as far as judging yardage.

15. jessetjames

ok thanks will definatly parctice.