3D Yardage Estimation

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by timberghost, Oct 14, 2007.

1. timberghost

timberghost Senior Member

Unmarked, no range finders.

The target is at least 30 you think but no way it's 45. You try to judge the distance closer. Maybe 35 to 40 but you can't really call it. It just isn't registering.

What tips or tricks do you guys have to score in a situation like this. :noidea:

I ran into this and I thought just aim a little high but when I did I hit high.

New to 3d:wave:

2. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

just make your best guess and then if you are doubting, add 3 yds and shoot!

3. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Practice judging every chance you get.If you have a rangefinder....look at an object and guess what the distance is...than check it with your RF..repeat as much as you can and different distances...do it till you get good at it.It will make a world of difference....Worked for me.

4. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

I have a good judgement of 20 yards. So I start at the target and judge back to me.

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I normally let JAY ARE shoot first and if I not sure I ask him :)

then again if he gets lucky and dropped the arrow and I shoot the same yardage he did and miss by a mile... well we won't go there :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

6. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Just take what you know and multiply it. If you are a good judge at 20 yards, how much farther is the target than some point you pick out at 20......don't know if that will help you but it helps me! :noidea: Good luck.

7. Maybee-R

Maybee-R Member

I always judge it out to twenty and than try to double it. if I cant double twenty than it has to be 30 if it looks more than double than its 45. witch is the max distance for MBR. class, and then shoot a really fast bow to make up the in between yards.:biggrin1:

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I go in 10 yard increments and normally get pretty close.

Pick a spot that is 10 yards in front of you. Now look for another 10 in front of that and so on... it seems to work pretty close and I'm normally within 3 - 4 yards.

the only thing that screws me up is the "cant see the ground" shots like over banks and stuff

9. RedFletchings

RedFletchings Member

I break the distance down into ten yard quadrants. I look at then, then twenty, then multiply or estimate accordingly. It is hard to explain. I dont look at the big picture per-say as an overall distance. I just look from feet to target and try to break it down like football yardages. I hav always been very good at making estimated yardage "guesses". My Dad had a harder time at it for a long time...until I was shooting with him and tried to explain what I did to come up with my estimation.

Does that help?

10. timberghost

timberghost Senior Member

Yes that helps. You are all helping me and I appreciate it very much.

Faster bow? 101 airborne fast?:D

11. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Luck???? I don't get lucky... all skill! I also miss targets on purpose, I like the sound that aluminum arrows make when they break! :doh: But if you were Bunnyman, just you your 60 yard pin for everything! :D

I was using 20 yard increments, but the last few shoots I have been using 10 yard increments, which seemed to work better for me.

12. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I have a trick that a pro-taught me that I'm not sure I want to let out. I'll P'm it to ya... but keep it safe. Ok I'll tell ya. at the yardage your shooting at. Say you shoot Open B in ASA. And your max is 45yds. Practice by judging 10 yards back from the target. And then 20yds from you out. Then judge whats left. Its real easy to get super close even out to 50 yds. I started using this method this year. and it helped me place 2nd in the ASA State championships. I only lost by a few points too. So it really works well.

13. Witchy1

Witchy1 Member

I use a variety of methods. Usually I first figure out what it's not. I tell myself it's not 20, not 30, etc. When I get to where I'm not sure what it is, then I start judging the distance in 10 or 20 yard increments. Sometimes when I get to the point where I think I have a minimum and maximum yardage of what it could be, I split the difference.

14. Timmer

Timmer Member

I generally go in 10 yard increments. Then break it down to the specific yard when close. By trying to get down to the specific yard, I've increased my range estimation accuracy. Used to just try and guess within 5 or even 10 yards. Not saying I'm always right, but usually within at least 5 yards worst case.

I've tried working back from the max yardage a certain class is supposed to be, but that usually bites me where it hurts. I've found that many targets are well over the so called max yardage. Luckily I tend to overjudge distances more so than underjudging. Just practice as much as you can. Even while taking a walk in your neighborhood. Might look a little funny checking distances with a rangfinder but your judgement will improve.

15. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Man!

Thats a hard question.:laugh:

Follow SMOKES ARROW!:laugh:

16. Hkdfrlife

Hkdfrlife Senior Member

toughest thing about judging for me is that one target that you look at and know you've got it. Then ya shoot and hit a low 8 or a five. Then ya look again and it smacks ya in the face. " What was I thinking?" off by 6-7 yds. After ya shoot you can see it!!

17. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

you could count the steps the team in front of you takes when they pull their arrows. then set your sight by this method. after missing a bunch of targets you will figure out there is no short cuts. the only way is to practice,practice practice. I use the 10 and 20 yard increment. which works ok for me.

18. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

one thing I do is to look at the base of the target. some times the size of the target will mess up your judgment of the yardage. or find a rock,tree, stump close and use it.

19. HYTMANN

HYTMANN Senior Member

I locate 20 yards from me, and go out from there. If I am undecided and stumped I'll judge from the target back to me, if they differ i'll split the diff between the two. If there is a hill involved i use the trees straight ahead of me that are closest to the target, figure out how far they are, then calculate the angle for distance. A favorite around here is the funnel, where you can't see the ground all the way to the target, and the foliage necks down, then opens up and the target is past that. The only way I know of to judge that is by size, and it's risky if you're not familiar with the different targets, unfortunately my memory sucks!:doh: :biggrin1:

20. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

I went to one shoot were there ofered a second shot at each target. 2nd arrow scored lower, but it was cool to get the yardage better.