3rd Axis Adjustment

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by bullfiddle, Dec 7, 2007.

1. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

All right all of you Archery Guru's what is the correct way to adjust the 3rd plane on a bow site? I have been out of competition Archery for about 15 years and we didn't have such a think as a 3rd plane adjustment back then. I have 2 sights that I can adjust just not sure what to do with them....:noidea:

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

your going to need to get on your knees first.......

3. bullfiddle

One reply and this thread is already going down hill....:doh: :doh:

4. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you would think so:lol: , but actually, I speak the truth this time.....:peace:

6. bullfiddle

patiently waiting......:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. bullfiddle

Ok so now what????:hail: :hail: :hail:

8. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

You can do it with the sight off the bow. All you need is a level, clamp and a 2X4 or 4X4 block of wood.

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I was waiting for the link.....by the way, i was being serious as you will see, after you hang a plum bob from the ceiling you are gonna need to get on your knees and aim up at it and level the site.......I dont know the perfect method for doing this.....BUT YOU WILL NEED to be on your knees......:amen: :amen:

10. bullfiddle

My unit would have a cow if I started hanging a plumb bob from the ceiling.....
    Wait till I get my deer head back....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

11. bullfiddle

Now this sounds more like something to explore...

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

13. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

they make a 3rd axis tuning tool. Very simple to use and inexpensive. the one we have is from sure loc. takes about 10min. and done.

14. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

You got a bow vise?

15. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Here is how I do it.

1. Put bow in vise. Use a level on the back of the string to make sure it is straight up and down (plumb). Move the level to the side and make sure it is plumb that way also. Move your level to your sight bar vertical elevation bar. It should be plumb also. Adjust your scope level to the same. You just set your 2nd axis.

2. Rotate your bow to point up or down and a 30 degree angle or so. Put your level on your sight vertical elevations bar. adjust your vise until it reads level again. Now "swing" your scope forward or backward to make it level.

3. Repeat for the opposite of what you just did (30 degrees up or down).

You just set your 3rd axis. Basically, your scope and sight elevation bar are now 90 degrees perpendicular from 30 deg. below level to 30 deg. above.

You can do this by hand to if you have someone to move the scope while you hold the sight bar and level. :peace:

16. HYTMANN

HYTMANN Senior Member

It's been my experience that you can get it close with levels and tools off the bow, but the only way to get it right is to shoot at a steep downward angle (like from a folding ladder to a target 6 - 10 feet away from the base) with the level on the scope centered and adjusting the third axis in small increments (typically moving the scope in from perpendicular) until your arrows are hitting the target without any left or right deviation from where you are aiming. Axis 1 and 2 must be set correctly first to get the correct 3rd. If your bow has a cable guide (or similar device) tension on the cables at full draw will cause the riser to pivot and your sight will not be parallel to the arrow, which is why simply making your scope perpendicular to the sight frame won't work.

17. Pinwheel1969

with the sure loc 3 axis leveling kit .you dont need a bow press. or check out:
    www.archerytech.com

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  18. HYTMANN

HYTMANN Senior Member

I don't understand where the bowpress comes in?:noidea:

19. Pinwheel1969

you dont . I was i was making a funny....:laugh:

20. HYTMANN

HYTMANN Senior Member

:doh: :laugh: :laugh: