50-60 or 60-70

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Wingbone, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Wingbone

Wingbone New Member

I am looking at new bows and trying to decide what weight to go with. I currently shoot 64 pounds and dont really want more. Would I be better off going with a 50-60 pound bow and maxing it out at 60 or would I be better off going with 60-70 pound bow and shooting it at 64 pounds?

Tell me Pros and Cons you know about Ross Bows

Thanks

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

We are starting to see a lot more customers purchasing the 50-60 pound bows.

3. I have been told by others it is best to go with the max bow draw weight being as close to your actual draw weight, in your case that would be 50-60 bow. I have found that most bows tend to max out to more then what they advertise. Good luck.

4. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

Every shop person I've talked to has always said keep it maxed if you can...with that said I'd go with the 50-60...I wish I had...

5. Wingbone

Wingbone New Member

Looks like I am hearing from you guys what I have been thinking. I have been told that if the bow isnt maxed out then you allow for noise that you wouldnt ordinarily have. Do you agree?

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I prefer 50 - 60. You don't need the higher DW to get the speeds anymore, why both drawing 70 if I can 62 and only lose 10 fps down to 280 from 290?

7. HCAman

HCAman New Member

Yep, Gotta agree go with the 50 - 60 I an not sure about noise, but I always thought that the closer you keep the limb end to the riser the less room for movement. But that was also before the limb pockets out today. I am not sure on the new ones, like the hoyt limb pockets for example, if this really makes a difference.

I was also told once that bows were designed to be used at the upper end of their weight range. If you used them at lower end the geometry of the limb angle was different the brace height and the ATA change and hence less efficient. I don't know if this is BS or not any thoughts guys.

8. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I think they're a little less efficient with the limb bolts backed off but I doubt it's much.

I can't see myself ever bying a 70 lb bow unless I get a chance to go after elk sized game.

9. HCAman

HCAman New Member

I am sure the efficiency drop isn't much either. but if you are looking for speed, do you think a 60lb bow set at 63# if faster than a 70lb bow set at 63#. I'm curious

10. J.C.

J.C. New Member

yeah, maybe by 1-2 fps. I dont have any data to back it up though....

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

if the limb bolts are maxed out, there is less movement, and thus less noise.....

I buy all my indoor bows in 40-50

my hunting and 3D bows are 50-60

12. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I would say go with the 50-60. Thats why I bought a 60-70.:laugh:

13. Timmer

Timmer Member

Though I can shoot more, I shoot a 50-60 lb bow. It's more comfortable especially when shooting quite a few arrows at a time. I just tried last weekend to back it off to 50 for spots. Worked great and was still very accurate. I personally don't feel it matters with todays bows if they are shot at max draw weight or not.

14. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Slippy for President!

I'd say 50-60 also. The Mission I bought is 50-60.

After seeing the penetration that Uncle Ted's wife got on a HUGE animal in Africa with 45#, I'll be buying 40-50# bows from now on. 50 pounds would be so much easier on my elbow anyway. :D

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

this aint real its HOLLYWOOD:lol: :lol: :lol:

16. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Everyone says "they're more effecient on the high end". What!?

I tested two bows
    A 60# set at 60#
    A 70# set at 60#

Same draw length, same weight, same arrow. The 60# bow peaked at 60# was 2fps faster than the 70# set at 60# (tested with mathews switchback XTs)

Now that said, it's easier to keep the draw length correct on the maxed out bow. Most bows get longer draw as you drop the weight. There exceptions though. Bowtech Guardian did not change at all in draw length when set at the lighter setting.

17. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Slippy for President!

Yeah but I figger 50 pounds with a 2 blade bh will do ok on these 125# whitetails. :D

IF I decide to shoot bows at game anymore.

All of the deer I see stay about 75 yds away so I am thinking of putting down the bow for good when it comes to hunting. I think the bullets in my avatar would do REAL nice. :p

18. presspal111

presspal111 Junior Member

if you shoot 63/64lb all you need is a 60lb most when put to spec
    will be average 62lb and shot very good I drop to a 60 for my hunting rig:amen: :rockon:

19. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Go with the 50-60. The old timers (myself) will tell you that as the years (and wear and tear) increases, the DW decreases. IMO if the bow is made to be shot at 60 you're better off shooting it than a bow made to shoot at 70, then back-off. Plus in years to come your shoulder and elbows will thank you.

20. ace7038

ace7038 New Member

Three years ago, when I bought my first new bow in 20 years, I bought a 60- 70. After buying another 60-70# I am looking for a 50-60# target bow that I feel I will be able to shoot longer "sessions" with. I am now shooting about 60 to 70 arrows at a session every other day but I am sore after doing so. I have been shooting the same number of arrows for about a year and am not getting any more stamina it seems so I guess I am 'maxed out'.