60lb. vs 70lb. draw weight?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by krist003, Feb 26, 2008.

1. krist003

krist003 New Member

Hey guys, i just joined the site and already i ask for some expert advise. I really like the Diamond Black Ice bow. I would really want it in a 60-70# draw weight, but i can get a great deal on one with a 50-60# draw weight. Are we talking much speed difference here? Is there anything else i should know between the two draw weights. I hunt and have had 2 70# bows already and have no problem whatsoever to pull them back. Thanks

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

get the #50 to 60 you'll thank us later....:laugh: :laugh: Really a 70# bow is no longer a necessity all ya gotta do is match the weight of your arrow to the poundage and that 60# will be blazin...:noidea:

3. bullfiddle

Oh by the way :welcome: to the forum....:wave: :wave: :wave:

4. krist003

krist003 New Member

Hey, thanks alot! Well, i also just bought arrows that are 400's 8.6 GPI, so i assume that these will slow it down.

5. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome to the forum...

I prefer a 60# bow...
    You will lose some speed but the Black Ice I shot was maxed out at 62# witha 350 gr arrow and we got 285 fps out of it...with a 300 gr arrow you would get more

6. bullfiddle

use em to hunt with and buy ya some lighter shafts for 3D shooting...:noidea: Remeber most hunting shots are gonna be 30 yrds an under...:noidea:

7. krist003

krist003 New Member

Yeah, thats true. Thanks for the help guys.

Does anyone know the speed difference one can expect from a 60# to a 70# draw weight? I know many other factors come into consideration here, but anyone have a clue, a guess, an equation, anything?

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Well according to Diamond IBO is 310-318 (30" @ 70#)
    So probably 20fps gain from 60 to 70#...:noidea:

9. bullfiddle

I would say if the arrows are matched correctly you are not gonna see a huge difference...:noidea:

10. krist003

krist003 New Member

If there is not much difference in speed when the arrows are matched to draw weight, then why would a person want 70# versus 60#? Also, does anyone know of a good chart or guide in selecting arrow weight (for hunting)?
    Thanks

11. bullfiddle

Exactly now your catching on...:peace: Check out Easton's, Carbon Express, Gold Tip and there are some other websites that have arrow charts...:D :D

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

A higher draw weight will produce more kinetic energy...
    You can use a KE calculator...if you know your fps

http://www.archeryhq.com/kin.htm

13. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Yeah what they have said. Go with 60# set arrows up to about 310grains and your set. I like to stay a little above the 5gpp minimum. Good luck :peace:

14. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

60#ers are better IMO..much easier on the shoulder...

oh and for expert advise just pm me anytime, I love to help others. :cool:

15. krist003

krist003 New Member

Thanks everyone! Looks like i joined a good forum. I look forward to contributing to quality archery talk :biggrin1:

16. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Answering the first question---MEN---testosterone and lack of comon sense; peer pressure, lack of knowledge.

Part two---- Any arrow properly spined for any 60# bow is heavy enough for deer sized game. Be sure and stay at or above the 5 gr/lb of draw weight recommended by the bow manufacturer. Other than that there areno fast and hard rules---except maybe your state game laws. Check them out before buying arrows. Just a couple states require a minimum arrow weight.

17. Scrotang

Scrotang Junior Member

I shoot a black ice at 65# with about a 400 grain arrow. I wish I could tell you how fast it was but some idiot put an arrow through the display on the chrono at my range.