A good 3D bow?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by two_shoes, Dec 27, 2006.

1. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

I got permission from the War Dept/Financial comm. to purchase another bow. I am looking for something that will hunt and do 3D as well. (would like to move out of hunter class) I have to admit to being a Bowtech fanboy, but right now looking for characteristics not brands.
    I'm about a 27" DL and can pull #70 if that matters. Should I be looking for:
    Longer ATA?
    High speed?
    Higher brace?
    Smooth vs. Fast?
    Can a bow hunt and do 3D well? Should I talk her into 2 more bows??
    Thanks in advance,

-two_shoes

2. big scores

big scores banned from AT

War deparment??? Guessing your wife. Pretty much any top end bow is good for 3-d and hunting. I say check out Darton's new line.

3. two_shoes

Lol

Yeah, there are a couple of others: Budget commitee, Dept. of ways & means, CFO.... Yep my wife.

Is the biggest difference that most "3D" bows have pretty colors and a longer stab?

4. slamdam

slamdam Senior Member

buy a switchback and you got a bow that will do both. Thats what I did

5. Jeremiah Johnson

Jeremiah Johnson Junior Member

It has been my experience that shooting your hunting bow in 3d competition will definitely prepare you for the woods and make you a better hunter. However, you will probably not win any events.

If you're shooting 3d for fun and become a better hunter, then purchase the best bow for hunting that suits you with the gear that suits you (for instance, last year I shot my Switchback in 3d with a WB rest and very heavy GT hunting arrows - didn't win any 3d competitions, but I absolutely slam in the woods).

If you're wanting to compete and win, then you'll need a different bow and different setup. The bows 3d shooters prefer have longer axle-to-axle lengths, longer brace heights and tend to be heavier - all geared toward accuracy, not huntability. Arrows are light with dark fletch (to keep from giving your position on the target away and providing an aiming point for those shooting behind you). Your rest will likely be a fall-away, but very light to the touch and possibly considered fragile in the woods, but deadly accurate; not a total capture type rest. Your sight will likely be the type that extends well in front of the riser to provide more accuracy and may have one adjustable pin depending on the class you intend to shoot. It will also have a magnifying lense if you will shoot a class that allows one (probably 4x). Your stabilizer will likely be longer and heavier than your hunting setup also.

6. timwilson

timwilson Junior Member

3D Bow

Hunting is First.... 3D is 2nd. I shoot a Switchback XT for both. I tried a different bow and set-up for 3D and found myself overloading my little brain with all the gadgits, bells and whistles you can do for 3D. I thoroughly enjoy the fellowship and personal challenge of 3D and keep it fun. Shoot for fun in 3D but its for real in the woods. Have Fun....:biggrin1:

7. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Mathews Apex 7 is an awesome shooter for both hunting and 3D. Specs are--38" ATA 7" BH IBO rating of 320fps DW 40-80 DL 23-30. This bow is rock steady. Shot a buddies last night it has a black riser and camo limbs.

8. two_shoes

Great info! Thanks a lot!
    Being a better hunter is numero uno for me. Actually I want to start hunting this next year ('07). I'm an older beginner. (36) I want to hunt for a couple years and then pass it on to my boys.
    I'd like the upcoming year to practice for the real deal, I don't want to hurt an animal.

Thanks again,

-two_shoes

9. Radar

Radar Story of my life

I got an '05 Bowtech Constitution that I will sell ya. Got 60# limbs and 29" draw length. Long ATA and alot of brace Height has the Black and Pewter riser it is listed in the For Sale section.

Hows that for a Shameless sales pitch.:biggrin1:

10. BowhuntnHoosier

Looks like he already has one from his signature. :noidea:

11. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Old Glory if you have room in the stand... if you don't Allegiance / Tribute. And since they are last years models you can buy them used for CHEAP and buy other goodies too!

12. Radar

Radar Story of my life

Whoops, I need to pay attention more. I usually don't read the signatures Guess I should. Thanks hoosier for going light on me:biggrin1:

13. two_shoes

LOL, I know I've got one good bow! I love my Conny, but it is setup for spots (#50 limbs). I could get another set of limbs but would really like another bow. I shot the Ally, Tribby and the SBXT yesterday. Being the Bowtech fanboy I am, I really liked the XT.

-Two_shoes

14. BowhuntnHoosier

No problem there buddy, just stating the facts as I see them. Trust me it happens to the best of us.:hug:

15. hardknocks32

hardknocks32 Junior Member

spending $700 on a new bow is not going to please the war dept. you should look at scottsoutdoors.com they have a nice parker bow on sale for around $200 that will make you and the wife happy. matthews is not the only bow in the world go outside the box to find a good bow

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

of course mathews is not the only bow company in the world and remember they are not sold in the box.....box stores that is.....

the thread starter said he was a bowtech fan and went and shot the XT, and liked it......the best part was he added even hes a :biggrin1: blowie:biggrin1:

and he never said that the war department would have a problem w/the cost in fact he even hinted that maybe he could talk her into getting 2.....

we like all that come here and we like all bows here so....dont be hatin or we will send the hug monster to get you.....:biggrin1:

17. two_shoes

:grouphug: The monster has been sent! LOL
    I have taken and given a lot of poop over the whole Mathews vs. Bowtech deal. Just last Thursday I shot spots where I was the only one out of 8 not shooting a Mathews. Now before Saturday, I was going to buy a Bowtech Tribute (probably used) but after shooting the XT, heck I'll need to open my eyes/mind a bit. I would have considered me a diehard Blowie before that fateful day. I had taken my boy down to shoot his bow. I was looking at the Drenalin, They do not have one in my DL but one of the shop owners came over with the home wrecker. It raelly changes everthing for me. Don't tell anyone.... I might even shoot a Hoyt. :laugh: :puke: :laugh: jk.

hardnocks32, Thanks for the insight on Parkers, I will try everything I can get my hands on. Trust me, it hurts to admit I liked the Mathews. The money is a concern but If I sell the 2 bows I have, I can get one new and one used over time. She has the mind set that I can hunt and do 3D with one and need one setup for spots. Someday I'll get her to buy into needing to get separate ones for hunting & 3D. I do like the "pretty" bows. I also like that brand "M" isn't sold at WM, SW and the like. Don't get me wrong, I shop Wally World plenty, but I like to support the local business owners when feesable. If the prices on anything are within 10-20% I shop the local business.

Two_shoes

18. mlviper35

mlviper35 Member

I would look at the Hoyt Vectrix, Mathews Dreny or xt, Bowtech Ally

If just 3d, Mathews Apex's,Hoyt ProElite,Bowtech Const. or Old Glory

Good luck,

Matt

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you and two_shoes shoot in the same areas??? thats the only reason why a person who currently shoots a 05 Switchy would recomend anything else.....:biggrin1:

20. mlviper35

mlviper35 Member

Bowman,

I love my Switch(hunting and hunter class), but I just ordered a Vectrix xl(open class). The Dreny just did not do anthing for me. Not like what the switch did when I got it. Vectrix has wow factor:rockon:

Mathews is going to have a tough road ahead. Bowtech is coming on strong(good stuff) and Hoyt is doing well with the Parallel tech. in their lines.

I wish I could buy them all.:peace: :biggrin1:

Regards,

matt