advantage of a short and long bow?

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by KyuZo, Feb 3, 2008.

1. KyuZo

KyuZo New Member

Hi,
    I was wondering... what is the advantage of using a shorter bow over a longer one?
    perhaps speed?

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

are you still asking about recurves, or are you wondering about compounds?

3. KyuZo

KyuZo New Member

I am getting a recurve

4. J.C.

J.C. New Member

yeah, I think a shorter recurve would be faster than a longer one, but the longer the drawlength, there will be more finger pinch with a shorter bow.

5. KyuZo

KyuZo New Member

what about arrows?
    should i get wood arrows? or fiberglass? or aluminum?

6. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I would get aluminum.

7. red44

red44 Senior Member

1916s will probably do ya, or 2016s left long with some weight up front.

8. earthling

earthling SURVIVALISTS live longer

huh????

draw length doesnt change no matter what

9. earthling

earthling SURVIVALISTS live longer

bows

with a recurve the shorter the bow LENGTH the LESS forgiving it is.. this means that you have to be more precise about release.. if you have a tendency to jerk the bow a lot when you release you wont be as accurate.... If you want a good starter bow then get a PSE buckeye at 25- 30 lbs. because you have to learn FORM FIRST before anything else... A longbow for a beginner should be at least 64" not only for stability but for being more forgiving on release, 66" to 68" is better... RECURVES are less forgiving all around... It depends on the weight of the bow you get as to what arrow to go with.. 25lb. to 40lb then go with a 1916 alum. arrow they are about 35.00 per dozen and make a great target arrow.. DO NOT go with cedar you will break them easily... I think CARBONS are to light all around for any TRAD bows they should be used on compounds.. thats what they are designed for anyway.. go with 100gr. field points they are the best and a lot less drop than 125gr.

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Yes, what he meant was the shorter the bow and the longer your DL the more finger pinch...:doh: