After the smoke cleared (pics)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by hoyt_hunter007, Jan 2, 2008.

1. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

Heres my New Year's Eve Muzzleloader buck, sorry not a bowkill but im excited about it. 11 pt, grosses just shy of 140"

Equipment
    .50 CVA Optima
    250 gr. Hornady SST
    100 gr. 777 pellets

I learned something very important from this deer, ALWAYS RELOAD YOUR GUN BEFORE YOU WALK UP ON THE DEER!!! He dropped in his tracks at about 30 yards. I watched him for a few seconds and he seemed dead, so i just walked up to him without reloading the gun. when i got up to his head, he stood up and went tearing into the timber, leaving me with a dumbfounded look on my face....long story short, i trailed him for a while, thinking he'd just go a little ways and go down again, but after 100 yards, i started to get worried, so i backed out and went to the house for a while. Came back two hours later with some extra tracking help and easily found him about another 100 yards from where i stopped tracking him the first time. Luckily we had a lot of snow and he bled alot so the tracking was easy. I was so relieved to recover this deer.

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Nice Buck Man....:rockon: :rockon:

3. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Congrat! That's a great buck....:thumb:

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

YUP I hate you..........:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

DAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBB

nice deer....!!!!!!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

5. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Congratulations on a great deer. And always reload first!!

6. red44

red44 Senior Member

ARRRGGG! thats the one I was looking for Monday. I so hate you. He's beautiful bro.

7. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

8. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

SUPER SWEET:biggrin1:
    thats how ya do it :cool: :cool:
    Was tha tbuck still ruttin'
    Do tell who it came ta pass Please.

9. hoyt_hunter007

Thanks everyone for the comments, to answer Smokes' question, no they arent rutting anymore...this guy did come out with some does but they are back to their normal bed to feed patterns. Its been tough because the nice bucks have either been killed or they are smart enough to not come out and feed until after dark, every night i went out i had does surrounding me, but the big boys just wouldnt come out during shooting hours. The best bet i decided was to beat them to bed in the mornings. I tried sitting in the early morning, and had a handful of close calls, but no luck...I was running out of time until i had to be back to school (today) so on monday my dad walked slowly through the timber while i picked a spot and waited. a few deer went out into the open 150+ yards away, after looking at them in the scope i decided none of them were shooters. It wasnt five minutes later i heard some commotion in the timber in front of me and out popped 3-4 does. I could see a rack behind them and within seconds he was standing in front of me 30 yards head-on. I shot and he reared straight up and fell over. I thought he was dead and didnt bother reloading the gun. He was laying facing away from me now so i walked up to him from behind, about the time i got to the front legs, he jumps up and takes off. I was flabbergasted to say the least. I thought he'd just go back into the timber a little ways and go down again, so i reloaded my gun and called my dad and told him to come on out so we could track him. When he got there i started following the blood trail which was really heavy and obvious on the snow. I followed it for about 100 yards and decided to go home and give him some time. Two hours later i came back and followed the trail for approximately 100 additional yards before finding him bedded dead in some cedar trees....then the work began :biggrin1:

10. dzingale

dzingale Senior Member

Very nice deer.

11. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

:rockon: :rockon: NICE BUCK!!!!!! :rockon: :rockon:

12. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Very nice buck....congrats:rockon:

13. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

Great Looking Critter!!!

14. Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 Senior Member

Thats the stuff from my dreams!:biggrin1: Great job!:rockon:

15. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

That deer is incredible! Congrats on the fine buck.

Next year I'm asking Santa for 1 just like that one:frusty:

16. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Was that a heart shot HH<

17. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

wow, that's a good one!!

18. hoyt_hunter007

Actually no, he was head on when i shot. When i dressed him the heart itself seemed ok, but one lung was total junk and there was a lot of damage to the arteries around the heart, but none to the heart itself

19. that is one good looking buck, congrats.

20. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

great job

Thats a great buck hoyt.
    and a happy hunter, i can see that.:rockon:
    Keep nockin them down.:biggrin1: