And so another year begins...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Dredly, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312151,00.html

TOWN OF SAXEVILLE, Wis. — A grandfather fatally shot his 18-year-old grandson in northwestern Waushara County during the opening weekend of Wisconsin's nine-day gun deer-hunting season, a warden says.

David R. Ruck from the Saxeville area died at a Neenah hospital after he was shot Sunday morning, Sheriff David R. Peterson said.

"My heart goes out to the family and to the community," said Tim Lawhern, conservation warden and state director of the Hunter Education Administration.

Deputies responded to a report about 8:40 a.m. that a hunter had been shot on private property in the town of Saxeville.

Ruck had been shot in the upper leg and inner groin, Peterson said, adding that the shooter said he mistook Ruck for a deer.

The sheriff's department and state Department of Natural Resources were investigating.

The gun deer season opened Saturday, with an estimated 630,000 hunters participating.

No statewide deer kill figures were reported Sunday.

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

http://www.wtnh.com/global/story.asp?s=7370644

ed Nov. 16, 2007
    Updated 8:02 PM

Berlin (WTNH) _ Just days into the hunting season, a LifeStar helicopter was called out to help rescue a 51-year-old man shot in a hunting accident. It happened in the woods off Beckley Road.

Floyd Dyer was three hours into his hunting expedition when he heard a noise no hunter wants to hear - sirens.

"I heard a shot fired and the ambulances and cruisers so I knew it was close by me," the Berlin man said.

Dyer's son called him on a cell phone to report a hunter had been shot in the same area Dyer was in.

"He wanted to know if I was alright and I said yes, and I got down out of my tree stand. He came and we went toward the shot and we found him."

Department of Environmental Protection investigators tell News Channel 8 the victim, John Peterson of East Berlin, was shot in the leg by his step-son, Donald Huston of Meriden, with a 12 gauge shot gun.

"He looked okay," Dyer said. "He was shot in the left leg."

Someone in the three man hunting party was able to put a tourniquet on Peterson's wound. Conscious and alert, the victim was put on an all terrain vehicle and brought out of the woods. Paramedics airlifted him to Hartford Hospital.

The fire chief says that ATV was just purchased by the department and in this emergency it may have made the difference between life and death. The hunter was half-mile into the woods.

"We probably would have been 30 minutes to get to him and 45 to get him out," Chief Jim Simons said. "We were with him within 15 minutes and paramedics were on him. It just makes the job so much easier so much safer."

We are only two days into rifle hunting season.

Investigators are trying to figure out what happened out there in the woods. DEP officers are trying to figure out if the hunters were using the proper safety precautions and if they were experienced hunters.

3. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I just figured out what the "dred" in dredly stood for........:cool:

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

http://www.kolnkgin.com/home/headlines/11543926.html

Hunter Shot and Killed
    Posted: 9:53 AM Nov 18, 2007
    Last Updated: 10:19 PM Nov 18, 2007
    Reporter: 10/11
    Email Address: desk@kolnkgin.com

The Saunders County Sheriff's department is investigaing a shooting incident.

The Saunders County Sheriff says 47-year-old Russell Christiansen was shot and killed around 5:20 Saturday afternoon near Yutan.

Lee Koening of rural Yutan was arrested as a felon in possession of a firearm.

The shooting is still under investigation by both the Saunders County Sheriff's department, as well as the Nebraska State Game and Parks department.

5. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

it makes ya wonder! :noidea:

6. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

stupid :frusty: stupid:frusty: stupid:frusty:

How on earth do you mistake a person for a deer??

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

HIS BLAZE ORANGE WASNT BRIGHT ENOUGH:noidea: :noidea:

8. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

Good news is it was one of Wi. safest opening weekends.

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I just figured out that HUNTING IN PA is not for BUNNY........

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yeah at least no guys went crazy w/assault weapons right?????:noidea:

11. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

:laugh:

Good one.......

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I was going to use a racial term in front of that but figured I would just be nice.......:peace: :peace: :peace:

13. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

PA hasn't opened yet... these are just stories that made headlines in the last few days... I'll post up the PA ones the week after thanks giving. We normally have 10 - 20 min and some really great ones like "he shot my dog because it was barking in my screened in porch", "His deer was stolen at gun point by 2 other hunters", ... hooray!

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

my bad........:laugh:

15. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

These are reasons why, when the orange army hits the woods Hoosier stays in his warm bed. I just don't understand??????????????

16. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

This is exactly why I do my damndest to be done well before gun season starts. To many inexperienced hunters toting guns for my liking.

17. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

People make fun of me sometimes because I wear a orange jacket instead of just a orange cap during firearm season. Personaly I want to be seen, I wear it for a reason. I don't hunt public land during gun season for the reasons stated above. This is also why everyone should carry a light of somekind when entering and leaving the woods in the dark. I have seen alot of folks make comments in this forum that they are afraid the light might spook the deer but it could be the difference of making the trip home to your wife and kids or the Sherriff making the same trip to tell them that your not coming home anymore. I know I joke around alot but this is nothing to joke about. It is sad that every year people loose their lifes because of stupidity. Fathers teach your children to identify what they are shooting at and to look behind what they are shooting at. There is not a deer out their walking around that is worth taking the life of another Human Being.... Just my $.02

18. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

I agree 100%. I use the Streamlight head light with the green LED's for walking in the woods. With one LED on, I can see just fine to get to my stand. It is also visible for over a 1/4 mile. Orange and a light are a must.

I had a guy that I went to school with that shot and killed a 10 year old boy on a refuge hunt. The boy was hunting with his dad and Grandfather. None of them were wearing orange and the boy was wearing Carhart insulated coveralls, the tan ones. That boy lost his life over stupidity and a $2 orange vest. Beleive it or not, when the guy shot the boy, he knew that something was not right when he saw 2 camoflauge figures run away. He got out of the stand and found the boy laying on the ground bleeding from his neck. He then carried the boy to his boat and took him out to the hospital, but it was too late. That boys father and grandfather left him there.

I am thankfull that the worst thing that has happened to us on our lease is an elderly man went to his stand one afternoon and did not return. They found him in his stand dead from a heart attack. We use a tag and block system. Each block is 66 acres and is numbered with a tag for that block. Each hunt you sign out for the block that you are hunting and that is your 66 acres for your hunt. We also have strict rules, that you are not to get out of your stand and walk through the woods. If you shoot and the animal is not where you can find it easily, come back to the camp and get some help.

19. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

YES! I am sure that the PA Army in Orange will do us proud this year... as they do every year!!!!! :doh: :tape:

These are reasons why I don't hunt with a gun! It is not me that I am afraid of... its the other guy!!

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yeah I gotta agree completly, and its amazing how fast a bunch of fun can turn into something terrible.......