Another newbie

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by SNIPEHUNTER, Sep 4, 2006.

1. SNIPEHUNTER

SNIPEHUNTER New Member

Hi my name is Gary, and i'm an addict,,,,,, :doh: sorry wrong forum.
    Okay i remember now:biggrin1: my question is about eye dominance. I'm right handed, left eye dominant( explains why i was never good at masterb@@#$%):doh: wrong forum again. back to my ?. for you hunters with the same problem, was it easier to close your right eye and shoot right handed or easier to learn to shoot left handed. Thank you and i'll listen to your answers off the air.

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

First off why would eye dominance cause a problem when you were.. ummm... fletching the arrow? ;)

secondly - LEARN TO SHOOT LEFTY! it isn't nearly as hard as it sounds, really. The hardest part is finding left handed gear in all honesty. I'm right handed, lefty eye dominant, sucked horrible shooting righty, no I suck shooting lefty but that isn't my eyes fault :biggrin1:

3. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Yep, shoot left handed. I have been teaching my grandson to shoot, he's left handed, right eye donimate. Once we got things set up right for him his shooting improved dramaticlly.

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Hello Gary and welcome.

I agree shoot lefty, my wife has the same situation. We tried the both eyes open, cover the left eye way. It was easier to set her up lefty.

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

First let me say :welcome:

then let me say remember there are children present every once in a while so just be careful...

and last, I think I speak for everyone, when I say we are all addicts here....

Addicted to Archery and 3DShoots.com.....not as bad as some habits....:laugh:

6. SNIPEHUNTER

SNIPEHUNTER New Member

Thanks for the response and the welcome guys. Now my next question, is there any reason a guy should not buy PSE bows. A new sportsmens warehouse opened up in town and the majority of their stock is PSE, otherwise i have to travel to the next town or purchase off the web. Also how is draw length determined.

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

PSE makes a good bow, other then lack of quality people at MOST of the big retail stores I wouldn't see a reason why you wouldn't buy a PSE if it feels good to you

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I have a PSE NOVA it's smoothe and quiet. They make a good bow. The only thing I would have done different was buy a bare bow(mine was a package) The sight and rest were junk.

9. SNIPEHUNTER

SNIPEHUNTER New Member

I have been researching some bows and the Bowtech tribute is looking pretty good and they are made in my home state so thats a plus. Anyway back to my original post about the eye dominance issue, it did'nt dawn on me when i asked that question but i'v been a rifle hunter and shooter for years and have never had a problem with the eye thing, so now i'm confussed. Is sighting with a bow that different from a rifle that it would have that much of an effect or am i just making an issue of something i should'nt:noidea:

10. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Do you close your left eye when you shoot? Personally I can shoot a rifle righty only if I close my left eye. I switched to shooting Rifle left handed as well.

Bowtech is an AWESOME bow... but they are a BIT mroe pricey then your PSE bows on average.

11. SNIPEHUNTER

SNIPEHUNTER New Member

I close my left eye when i shoot, i have never tried shooting left handed it just felt to unnatural. Anyway i went out and tried to shoot left handed with my pistol the other day, it was really uncomfortable at first but after a while i was able to get a good feel for it and actually was able to shoot tighter groups than if i was shooting rh. A buddy is going to let me try a lh rifle and see how that works.

12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

why? you can shoot almost any right handed rifle lefty. I would avoid shooting right handed muzzelloaders from the left side though... :Cry:

I would say find a .22 or some other very small bore rifle w/ a scope and try it out, it will fill unnatural for a while but you'll get it pretty quickly and you'll be shooting much better in no time!

13. SNIPEHUNTER

SNIPEHUNTER New Member

The stocks on my rh rifles are custom made for me and make it awkard for lh shooting in fact my stocks would probably be awkard for another rh shooter.

14. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I figured that was it but decided to ask anyway. Let us know your progress and let me know if you need any help, I shot everything right handed for the first 23 years of my life, just switched 3 years ago