anyone do it on there own....

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by BUNNYMAN, Nov 7, 2006.

1. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

does anybody here practice QDM in there own little places and if so have you seen an improvement in your heard.......of course the first reaction is to always say yes......but is it really working.....I mean I am seeing a few bigger deer in this area but I am seeing alot more funky racked smaller bucks......lots of really small points.....just wondering......

also if the guys from the 3point areas in NY could also answer from there sittings in the woods this year.....would appreciate it.....

2. whitetail99

whitetail99 Senior Member

Led by exampled I say. I have passed on some very nice deer this year only to shoot my best last weekend. IF!!! we all could pass on the nice 6 points 18 month old bucks we all could have a chance at a great 2 1/2 year old buck the following year. I you must shoot a buck for meat the shoot the ugly ones early in the season before they can breed.

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

That's it the new slogan for birthcontrol:laugh:

Yes and no Bowman.

Yes I practice QDM, but no I haven't noticed any real improvement in my areas. But I am not the only guy hunting in a few of my spots either. I know alot of guys take anything that walks into range. I drove past a house the other day about a half mile from one of my spots and saw a spike hanging(now I can't say he took it in a 3 pt area or not .. but) this deer had to be 120 pounds! COME ON!! on the spot down the road from his house I have seen 2 big 8's fighting and 1 REALLY NICE 10!!

All we can do is teach the next generation right and lead by example.

4. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

I'm no expert but, passing up small bucks is only half the battle. I normally take at least one doe a year. We have a lot of hunting pressure from neighbors Witch makes it diffucult to manage a herd or to tell if your efforts are paying off...:frusty:

5. papito

papito Petering it since 06

we have the 3pt rule in our area and i'm seeing alot of NICE bucks, and alot of small deer with funky racks. One is a 6 with a huge rack. Almost too big for the body.

6. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Qdm

My friends and I try to harvest only 120 class deer or bigger on the property we hunt. It is difficult knowing that the neighbors are shooting everything that's brown. We do take a couple of does a year. We just starting doing this a few years ago and are already seeing results. I missed a 130 class ten point last Friday. He was chasing a doe, I grunted to stop him, hurried the shot, and missed clean low. He was only fifteen yards and broadside. I have to stop typing because I am crying thinking about it.

Good luck hunting!!!!!!

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

why is it the chip shots that we all seem to miss.......I think next year forget 3-d for score and practice everyshot from 15 yrds....I know I can hit em at 35....its the 15yrd gime that I always mess up......

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

You're right, Taking does is just as important. I try to harvest 3 a year, and 1 good buck