Archery Backstop??

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by swift footz, May 25, 2007.

1. swift footz

swift footz Junior Member

I have shot in my backyard for a year or two and had trouble when the occational arrow missed the target and backstop. The arrow at times would continue for another 50 yards or more.
    I use straw bales as a backstop which are hard to use because they fall over and have many gaps inbetween them.

Is there a good backstop that won't break my wallet?

2. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I've seen a couple of large carpet remnants, one int front of another, suspended behind a set of targets. You may lose your vanes but it will probably slow the arrows down a lot.
    I never shot on an outdoor range that had that though. Maybe carpet remnants in front of straw bales would help 'seal' the gaps.

Good luck with this and good question and welcome to the forum. There's good folks out here.

Ron

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome to the forum...

The carpet idea works...I shoot a 3d that has carpet behind a moving target...
    But it may serve you better to build a "bail house"...Something to hold your bails tight together to close the gaps and hold them from falling over...You could also use compressed cardboard instead of hay...just a thought...even hang the carpet on the front...???...I'm thinking of building one in my back yard...Maybe 4' wide and 5-6' tall...That way you can stand 3d targets in front of it and not worry about flyers...

anyway, keep us posted...and we always appreciate project pics...:peace:

4. swift footz

Thanks for all the tips i will have to look into it.
    Any sugestions for hanging up the carpet?

Where can you get cheap carpet?

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

in the dumpster at the carpet store......:noidea: :peace:

6. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

The local carpet place here puts all their remnants in the dumpster. Usually they will let you have what you want for free.

Man Bowman, you know everything.........:biggrin1:

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I am so smart.......I r th smrtesesest....:tape:

8. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

back stop!

Get ya a big piece of tin roofing & put it up behind your 3-d target!:laugh:
    I know for a fact it will make you hit the target!:laugh:
    Just jokin, the carpet work's great!:peace:

9. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I have a good size chunk in the basement if you want to drive to RI to get it...

:laugh:

Like Bowman says, hit the carpet stores/outlets and you can get some for next to nothing.

Ron

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I got a piece of carpet to fit the bed of my truck......all I had to do was trim it....it cost me nothing....they sometimes throw big peices in the trash.....

I know what your thinking......carpet in the bed of the truck???

it works great, its cheaper than Rhino lining.....protects just as good....not only the truck bed but the stuff you put in there also....stuff stays were you put it....and its removable.....

this only works if you have a cap.....:doh: :biggrin1:

11. swift footz

Thanks for all the help

I will be shooting in no time!!!