Archery Recall?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Dredly, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Archery Recall?
    With all the recent recalls lately I'm kind of curious...

at what failure rate does an Archery (Bow) company perform a recall to protect our well being?

A crib company just performed a 1,000,000 crib recall because of less then 70 issues.

A toy manufacturer performed a multi-million toy recall because of the possiblity of a kid managing to destroy a toy and eat a tiny magnet.

Auto manufacturers routinely perform recalls for anything from a defective wiper blade motor to nearly impossible scenarios that are 1 in 100,000...

So when does an Archery company say "We need to recall this as we are seeing a lot more failures then normal and the threat of injury is very real".

Has a recall ever been done on an adult compound bow to address an issue or do archery companies just believe they will get off the hook with a warranty repair and a "sorry"?

2. Record Keeper

Record Keeper Member

Great question...I've been in the archery biz for a long time and don't recall ever seeing a recall.....:p

3. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I never gave it a thought.I've never known of a bow recall....guns yes..good question.

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Only one I was able to find was in 02 when Bear recalled like 2500 kid bows... that was it.

but limbs splitting, arrows exploding, etc are a daily occurrence. I guess we aren't sue happy enough as archers...

or we'll wait till someone looses an eye and then pay them to keep quiet

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Don't know... Good question Dred...

In respect to the China/Offshore stuff in general... If the US labor unions, who agressively advertise quality work, would get with the times and align wages and benefits with reality in a global market we would not need to have manufacturing of ANYTHING in China or Mexico or anyplace outside this country.

I hope some of this China recall/lead paint BS open some people's eyes. Out here, union leaders continue to not communicate to their members how they can help the companies they work for and guess what ? Companies go out of business or move out of the country... Eagle Foods: Out of business, bankruptcy because of union employee related expense (Walmart didn't help). Maytag: Moved to Mexico. Case/New Holland: Done... What's next ? Alcoa ? John Deere ? The Deere headquarters are right down the street from me, literally...

Union leaders are then left with no union membership... Union member are left with no income. Gee, how are you going to pay the bills now ?

Why don't we sing the national anthem in Spanish... NOT !

I have to get that out any time I see an opportunity.

Ron

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Wait you are saying making 15.00 an hour should be acceptable for a no skill job? Wow I bet all the people that lost jobs in my area that were making 35.00+ to work assembly lines would be in an uproar! (And to think, pay cuts were offered as a way to keep them employed, union turned them down)

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

In my opinion a "Recall" is a public warning that says "Our product is flawed and can cause serious injury to you or those around you. As such we are replacing this product BEFORE it breaks or causes an issue". The only real recall I was able to find was in 02 for Bear when they recalled a kids bow. I think a broadhead manufacturer recently did one as well (if I remember correctly)

In my opinion (and based on info provided on these forums and others) there could have been some serious recalls in the past...

for example:

"String Stoppers" on the Fred Bear TRX cable slides were prone to breaking off and flying in general directions, no idea where the arrow would go, These should have been replaced pro actively or a credit given to any who replaced it after it broke off

Bowtech Limbs (05 Allegiance and OG)- Love them or hate them I don't care, fact remains a LOT of Bowtech limbs broke, they were replacing them with 06's as fast as they could spit them out making it even more obvious that there was a known defect

Sonic Broad Heads (06?) - They admitted the design was weak and touted the next years model as having fully resolved the issues of the past... but there was nothing done about the old heads

Wind Stalker Cable Guards - Several very respected bow techs advised that they slice through cables and if the shooter wasn't paying attention they could cut the cable and cause some serious issues. I believe the came out with a new "rounded" design shortly afterwards.

Cobra Sidewinder Sights - The sights moved and could not be secured, causing point of aim to move very significantly. This was reported by a large number of people and was blown off by Cobra.

Those are just some examples. Amazingly we still as archers are much more likely to attack each other and say it was user error then admit the real problem and the Archery companies take no responsibility for anything...

I wonder what it would take for this to change? Somone to die? A lawsuit after a kid looses an eye to an exploding limb? Somone injured or dead due to a faulty sight...

8. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

Recall...

I use to use a tree lounge tree stand, and they did a recall on the rear adjuster, bar. They sent me a letter saying call us and we'll send you the new design. Which was surprising.

Ben

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I've seen a few from Tree Stands, I think Summit had one a few years ago also but thats a bit different and not really "archery" its "hunting" :)

10. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

true, we just recently, (in the last 7 years or so) have been able to gun hunt from a tree, so stands always seem archery related to me. :biggrin1:

Ben

11. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

No, that's not what I'm saying... Sorry if I was meandering. I'm getting old so that has a de-stabilizing effect.

Shift managers here in Grocery Retail, non union, make $12 an hour. And they are all experienced. In fact, most of them have well over 10 years of experience.

Union floor sweepers were making $14 part time, starting pay. That's rediculous... Hey, but they paid union dues so all was good...

Floor sweepers and shelf stockers are generally minimum wage plus benefit qualification if they are full time (32-1/2 hours+/week I believe).

My point was let's give companies incentives to keep manufacturing in America and prevent jobs from leaving the country. Our increasing dependence on foreign ANYTHING is going to be the downfall of America.

In manufacturing in particular, if the labor unions don't realize this then we are in trouble...

The USA invented manufacturing and assembly lines... Why should we give it away to some other country that didn't have the people with the intelligence to do it themselves ?

I'm done now. Im going out for catfish since my freezer is 'catfish' empty...

Ron

12. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Recall!

Bear is the only bow manufacture that i remember had recalls on there bows back about 20-25 years ago on the Bear/jennings unistar, cam kept locking up with bushing problems.
    And PSE did a recall on the grips on there Jet-Flight express and Mach flight-4
    Grips poping off, I know because a bud had to send his unistar to the pro-shop when the parts with bushing kit were sent from the manufectureing and i had to give my numbers off my Jet-flight to have them send me the new grip!
    That was a long time ago, You dont here that much these days!:biggrin1:

13. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Its all fun and games untill someone looses an eye! :biggrin1:

14. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Bear is the only one that comes to mind...They actually didn't release a model in it premeir year because Fred wasn't satisfied with something about it...when it was corrected he released it...

I'm sure most companies use "campaign" style recalls...Auto manufacturers started doing that 30 years ago...Make your dealers aware of specific problems and warranty anything that comes back...it may only cover 30% of total units sold...so they save on the remaining 70%...

15. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

OK... so the limbs on the bow are breaking. Who should make the recall... the limb manufacture or the bow company?

16. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

That's the other gray area...:frusty:

17. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Recall!

The bow company!
    Like when Ford makes a recall on a seat belt!
    Take it in the shop and they put a new belt in.
    Not the maker of the seatbelt!

18. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Yup finished product. If they want to go after somone else that thats the finished product companies business.

In the example of the broadheads, I could care less who supplied the Aluminum that was faulty... the finished product is responsbile

19. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

I totally understand what you are saying. I know Quick Stand Archery mfg is new and small, but I for one can say as long as I own the company. Our products are going to be made here. By American hands.

20. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

I had a recall on my Hoyt Redline High Output cam about 4 years ago. Didn't even know there was a problem. It was replaced under warranty.
    Seems somebody is still upset about not having a warranty.
    If you buy used, you buy somebody else's problems.
    That's why you pay less. You get less.