arrow fletchimg and arrow cresting how to posts

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by QSA, Aug 16, 2008.

1. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

NICE:rockon: :rockon:

3. QSA

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Dan,

Those pics are really cool.... I loved the cresting pics and the results are really good. I like the crested look for sure.

Ron

5. red44

red44 Senior Member

The cresting looks great. PISSA as they say 'round here. :lol:

6. MickeyBee

MickeyBee New Member

I'm gonna have to try that this winter but i do have a couple of questions: Do you put a clear coat over the finished product?
    How hard is it to remove from a carbon arrow?

7. QSA

you can clear if you want to. But a few quick wipes with a acetone soaked rag and Laqueir comes right off. But dryed laqueir is very tuff paint.

8. MickeyBee

MickeyBee New Member

Thanks, I'm gonna give it a try...looks like fun.

9. QSA

Just report back with photos of your handy work.

10. SandSquid

SandSquid Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

Air-brush cresting?

QSA, et al.

I was going through all my kids' old RC Car stuff (getting it ready/sorted for e$ay, etc) and had a great idea (I think)

What are your thought on using a gravity feed double action air-brush to spray on the base and solid coats of crests or even to do fades? Can the Bohning paints even be air-brushed?

Seems like it's be a whole lot less wasteful that dipping, and the ability to do multi-color fades and blends, etc.

Of course I'd rig up low-cfm a "down-draft" filter under the shaft to snatch up any over-spray. I would not want to mess up the bed of my lathe...

11. bocomo

bocomo New Member

Thanks a lot dan. I think ill have to try my hand at cresting.

12. SandSquid

SandSquid Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

Q's on using lathe to crest

I have a Nova 3000 woodturning lathe with 4 jaw chuck a 4-pin jaw and was wondering what your thougths we on using this instead of a dedicated Bohning cresting machine.

I do have a DC Variable Speed Leeson motor w/ a Digital Speed Controller, so I can go dial it from zero to several thousand RPM....

13. LittleBear

LittleBear New Member

Offset?

Quick question, can you explain offset to me? i know what it is and what it is for, but how much offset does how much? or is there any real difference over reasonable distances?(reasonable for me; 50 yds and shorter)

14. 09Dreamseason

09Dreamseason Shooting Edge Technology

are you still watching this thread?

Will the paint stick good to a carbon arrow? What prep will make it stick better, and what brand of paint works best for the fletching to glue to?

I'm only going to do a solid White or Blaze Orange crest to glue my fletching to.....