arrow wieght

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by pitahall, Apr 12, 2008.

1. pitahall

pitahall Junior Member

I have a new firecat that by my calculations should push a 360 arrow at around 315ish fps. I live in the west and will be mostly hunting elk. My numbers for this setup is somewhere around 80+ ke and .50 momentum. This is about twice the numbers I had last year with the browning I borrowed. However my friend and the local shop have this hang up about you can't shoot an arrow under 400gr at an elk or it will just bounce off like a bouncy ball. I am just looking for new opinions and not old opinions passed on as fact.

Pitahall:cool:

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I've never hunted elk but 80 ft/lbs of k.e. will kill anything walking on this continent.

3. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Maybe his friend has dull broad heads or was using judo points:biggrin1:

4. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

We just had a customer who elk hunts buy a 82nd airborne set at 70# 29" draw. It shot a 415gr arrow at 314fps. It calculated at about 90ft/lbs of KE.

I would stay 400gr or above for elk. But bounce off, not if you have 80ft/lbs of KE.

5. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

Your at 79.34 pounds of KE.

If you went to a 400 grain arrow and dropped to 300 fps your KE would be 79.96.

6. pitahall

pitahall Junior Member

My friend will be shooting a 101st this year with about the same stats. I think that the extra .60 ftlb of ke is not worth the loss in speed and arrow drop. Also everywhere I look at recomended energy is 65 for elk and I am 20% over that. I figure that is a pretty good safety factor. I have just about given up and just tell them to do what I want or I will build my own arrows.
    even with judo I would bet it would make it part of the way through. I think this year I will shoot g5's or atoms.
    Pitahall:cool:

7. vmabuck

vmabuck Killer B

I was reading that link you posted Tenring. I am a novice at best when it comes to tuning a bow. I was fitted by a good shop in NC when I started and that setup has never failed me to this day. I still shoot the same rig and it still remains very accurate.

This leads me to my question:

My bow was set at 70# and I shoot Carbon Express CX 300 arrows, 4"veins with a 100gr tip and a draw length of 28". Is there anyway to guestimate how many grains that arrow is? The bow is Fred Bear Vapor 300 if that plays into it.

I would be interested in knowing if I have enough oomph to take on an Elk. I have always gone clean through any whitetail I have shot and many pieces of plywood have met their demise while I was learning to shoot. The arrows seem to have quite a punch.

I don't have a scale to wiegh my arrow though so I was just curious if you can kind of guess what the total arrow weight would be given the above data.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  8. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

I think your arrows are 8.6 grains pre inch x 28 = 240.8 about 90gr. for vanes nock & insert plus 100gr tip about 430 gr give or take

9. vmabuck

vmabuck Killer B

I found a great chart for my arrows:

Carbon Express Arrow guide

According to this chart, with everything minus my fletching weight, I came to 346.5

They gave my nock 8.7g and my insert 11g. so if we take that away from the 90 you were guessing for the nock+insert+fletching it would mean that my fletchings weigh in at 70.3.

Is that about right?

10. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

About, all depens on the make of the vane I was using aae's

11. vmabuck

vmabuck Killer B

I think they are AAE.

I took all those numbers and my ke came up to 51 for my setup. Wich was a bit lower than I was guessing, but I think it would still work for elk.

I am also guessing the velocity at around 235 fps for the math. last time I chrono'd my bow was in 2004 and I don't remember last week, so...

12. pitahall

pitahall Junior Member

thanks guys

thank you guys for making me think that i am not just nuts people have been shooting elk with less for 20000 yrs. I am glad to have found this site! I am glad there are not too many people on here that would just tell me I am new and have no idea what is good for me.

thanks agian
    pitahall:cool:

13. vmabuck

vmabuck Killer B

I'm with you on that Pitahall!

I didn't know this site existed until a few days ago. I have already had all my fletching questions answered in a day. This place is great.

I hope to learn a lot here, and maybe someday I can pass on a few tips to others...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  14. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

I love 420 to 430 grain arrows out of a 70lb bow..they seem to papertune like a dream..Also a nice heavy weight for hunting...

15. vmabuck

vmabuck Killer B

It seems like I fall into that category Jdawg. I have always been happy with the performance of my setup and it has been rock solid for a few years.

I am sure I am coming to a point though where I will have to make changes. I used to dread that prospect but now I am actually looking forward to it.

I think I will learn a lot going through the process...