Arrows making string noise?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Wheely, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Does the wrong size arrow make a lot of string noise? When I shot my new bow down at the shop, I didn't notice any noise, but when I took it out to the range and shot my own arrows through it, it sounds like a rubberband. Just wondering what you can tell me, I will be going back in on Wednesday to work on it more :biggrin1:

2. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

It's a single cam Matthews .

It has that sweet plingin sound. Smokes

3. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

string noise

If your arrow's are to light your bow will be louder than normal but i think it sound's like you just need to add string silencer's if you dont have any on the bow.:biggrin1:
    if youve allready got silencer's on you might have another problem.

4. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

it doesn't have any on it yet, we are going to finish setting it up this week

5. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

that's it

That rubberband noise is normal on a bow without string silencer's.
    just put some spider leg's on her & the noise will go to a thummmmp!!
    some people shoot without on target bow's but i cant stand that twanng either.:peace:

6. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

How do like that Mathews rest ?
    I bought a used Ovation with the Mathews rest and that thing is one of the nicest I've seen.
    The fit and operation is awsome...

String twang: Like those people said. String silencers, maybe nocking point moved ? Check your nocking point if you already have silencers... Also, are the nocks on your arrows positioned right for the Mathews rest ? If you shot the bow at the shop without your arrows there may be a slight nock adjustment issue. Check that clearance since there is not a lot of room for error with that rest. I found that out myself...

Good luck and congrats on the new bow !

Ron

7. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Three little letters...........................STS the original of course.:whistle:

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I must agree...:biggrin1:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Wheels if you never believe me about anything else ever, believe this....do not put silencers on the bow until after you get an STS on that thing, it usaully takes care of any string noise......also get it installed properly.....

10. ByteMe

ByteMe Senior Member

I second that motion..

I will have to side with bowman on that one.. STS works wonders and those spider looking things on the string.. I dont know I just cant get with that whole thing.

11. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

this is my first drop away, but I am liken it :biggrin1:

12. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

ok, I went out and shot it again today and we moved the rest up, cuz vanes were hitting and move the knock point up and it is a little quieter. so I think once we get it all tuned and stuff it will be fine :biggrin1:

13. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

question!!

Wheels what is your bow's max.poundage.
    That rubberband sound,if your still getting it wont be fixed with tuning.
    it may be less, but most of the time come's from shooting near ibo,spec.arrow's & or,shooting to low poundage.
    FIX; shoot heavier arrow's:you dont want to do, you need speed for target.
    adding silencer's will stop your problem altogether.
    unless you want to hear the twang.:peace:

14. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I think it is 50# and I am at 45# right now and I think my arrows are already a little to heavy. My pins have quite a gap.

Thanks, I will keep those thoughts in mind, when I work on it again.:biggrin1:

15. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, I never had a drop away and I really llike this rest a lot. It's elegantly simple.

Another thing I did on the Mathews rest was remove the 'furry' prong covers and replace them with the smooth teflon ones. That gave me a little more vane clearance because of the smaller diameter but I had to adjust the nocking point a little bit to keep the geometry the way it was.

This Ovation shoots excellent, in spite of the dumb-butt (me) shooting it. And, I might add, the gentleman on this site whom I bought it from has been most helpful and he really took care of that bow on top of it. Hat's off to him...

And, as a plus, the bow is not pink... It's Blueberry. (Blue/Black riser, black limbs... Very nice.)
    :laugh:

Had to get that in there for our pal and our unofficial "Senior 3D Shoots coordinator/agitator of sorts" Bowman... Your such the entertainer...
    :hug:

:laugh:

Ron