Arrows too heavy?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Wheely, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I want to turn the weight back down on my bow, cuz I am tiring out to fast, I know the arrows I am shooting work with my draw weight at 46 and up, but I want to go down to 40-43#'s. can I still shoot the same arrows or do I need to get new ones?

2. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

3. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

A heavier arrow will not hurt your bow. Just have to watch your arrow spine.:peace:

4. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

I would give it a try. I think they will still fly OK. BUT, if they dont I would try some heavier points before I bought more arrows. also if the arrows you have now are long enough, you could cut some off them to give you more spline. but if you are like me, you will buy some and over a period of time have arrows laying around ever were.

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

if your lowering the poundage you dont want STIFFER spine:doh: :doh: :doh:

6. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

hey your right. dont cut them off. use heavier tips. sorry havent had my 3rd cup of coffee yet. thanks bowman

7. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

this day light saving time has really got me messed up. sorry, thats the best excuse I can come up with:noidea:

8. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I would still shoot the same arrows, as long as you are planning on getting back to the 46# DW.
    IMO, if you are shooting a release, the spine is not a huge factor and in some cases a stiffer spine will shoot better out of a bow.

The one factor that you will notice is by decreasing your poundage of your bow and keeping the same weighted arrow, is your shooting arc will increase.

9. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Going from 46# to about 43# isn't going to make that much of a difference in arrow flight. Yeh, you'll lose about 8 fps and you may have to do a little tweaking in the tuning department, but it shouldn't be too radical. You may even get lucky and not have to do anything but shoot. Depending on your shooting ability you may not see any difference except in your arms and shoulders, and that's what you're trying to accomplish.

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

and there you go, see I knew one of us knew something.......what this guy said....:amen:

11. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

sounds great, I figured while I am getting the new string, cables, peep, cable slide, I might as well change the poundage too, to something more comfortable and less stressful. Glad to hear I don't have to change the arrows. I do have some aluminums, they are Easton 2013 Superlite XX75 Camo Hunters. They are 27 inches. Can you tell me if they will work better than the carbons at 43#? Maybe they are similar to the carbons, not sure :noidea:

12. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Alum vs. carbon

It would be hard to say if carbon arrows will shoot or work better for your bow. It's a debate, which are better --- Alums or carbons, since you will have fans for both... it all comes down to your preference. There are positives and negatives for all arrows. Picking the right arrow for your bow can sometimes be as difficult as picking the right bow for the shooter.
    The best way to find out is trial and error.