Back Tension Release Travel

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by BowhuntnHoosier, Apr 26, 2007.

1. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Ok so I have a question for you guys about the travel of my release. I have it set up very hot(almost no travel). I was talking to someone and shooting with him when he asked to try my release after he shot he handed it to me and said that thing is way too hot for me. So I am wondering if it is a personal preference thing or whether I should cool it down a little. So my question to you all is do you like alot of travel, or very little travel. It seems to me the way I have it now I do not have to think about the release at all just focus and concentrate on the target. But when I set it up for more travel I have to consciously think about it.:noidea:

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

kinda like the dodge-ford-toyota-nissan debate........notice I left out the rock....:biggrin1:

3. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

Yeah its all a preference.. I like mine real slow. alows me more time to settle into the shot. Before I start w/ the execution!

4. Hkdfrlife

Hkdfrlife Senior Member

Hot BT release

From what I've been able to pick up about setting up a BT release, it should be set with a significant amount of travel. It keeps you active in the shot and will keep you from trying to time the release. When I first went to a BT I tried to set it up where I didn't have to pull very far. Then I read an article about how the pro's set up their releases. The article talked about one of the pros was in a shootoff in vegas or some other big event. After holding for quite a while he let down and switched releases. Evertone assumed he went to a lighter release when in fact he went to one set with more travel so he had to get after it to fire it. He won the shootoff. I think it might have been Nathan Brooks but I'm not sure. Hope this helps Frank

5. Allen

Allen Senior Member

If you set it too hot, you can't develop any tension in your back muscles. This means that you will be shooting with muscles that don't give you the advantages of real back tension. You are almost certainly punching it and it tends to be a weaker shot.

It's a valid way to shoot, but it is not back tension.

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Thanks alot fellas I sure appreciate all the input. I am going to cool my release a little and see what happens.:peace:

7. Allen

Allen Senior Member

One suggestion - most people have trouble trying to find the "right muscles" in their back to use. The simplest way that I have found is to move your elbow back in a straight line from the arrow while maintaining your anchor. It's really easier than it sounds. What happens is that your shoulder blade moves down & in towards your spine, which is exactly how back tension is supposed to work.

The goal is to make this movement as smooth and even as possible. A good way to learn this is using a loop of string tied to the same length as your draw length. With the loop, you can focus only on the execution of the release.

Good luck,
    Allen