Back Tension Release

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by SilentSniper, Jul 10, 2007.

1. SilentSniper

SilentSniper Senior Member

Could someone explain to me the principles behind a back tension release? How does it work. :confused:

2. Doc

Doc Member

The whole idea behind back-tension is to use large muscles to set off the release so it's not a complete command release. You want to be able to focus on aiming, aiming, aiming and have the release go off and not be anticipating it. If you anticipate you are going to flinch and think about the actual release of the arrow...if you are doing this, then you are not aiming. The key to proper back tension is good form and a bow with a drawlength that fits you.

3. SilentSniper

SilentSniper Senior Member

Do many people use this type of release for hunting....and thanks for the response Doc. Good to see you here. :biggrin1:

4. Doc

Doc Member

Not many use it for hunting, because sometimes the shot just has to go and with back-tension after coming to anchor there can be as much as a 4-5 second delay if done correctly. I use BT for tournament and a thumb trigger for hunting.

5. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

If your looking at giving BT a try you will be amazed at how much your scores or steady holding will improve. I switched about a yr ago, it is very frustrating at first but once you get the hang of it you will be glad you stuck it out. I switched to the Carter Evolution + a bit back, its diff from a true BT but I like it much more than a true BT. It fires by increasing the holding wt of your bow. IE you get to full draw then increase your pull on the string and it goes. I love that thing. A big bonus is I shoot my carter 2-shot much better than I did before using my Evo. I can hold my bow more steady and the pin floats on target w/ less effort. The Evo is a great stepping stone to a pure BT release and great for learning.

6. whitetail99

whitetail99 Senior Member

More aiming= more accuracy.. Less anticipation of the shot cycle.

7. BT RELEASE ALSO MEANS PRACTICE PRATICE PRACTICE
    it may take you months to get the hang of a BT release but when you do WOW