backyard archery

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by camohunter87, Apr 28, 2008.

1. camohunter87

camohunter87 New Member

i am in competetive archery and i only shoot indoor fita 1 and my range is closed over the summer but i would like to keep my skills in tune, is it legal to shoot in city limits. i have house beside me. i have a long and wide yard and a high fence if that even helps thanks

2. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

Laws differ from one locality to the next. If you want to know for certain, just call your local police station and ask them. They will tell you even if they have to research it a bit.

More important than what the law "SAYS", you'll find out how the officers interpret that law. (i.e. even if it IS legal...cops might come knocking if they understand it not to be...then the judge will have to sort it out).

Just ask the police.

3. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

More importantly, talk to your neighbors and see how they feel about the subject. They are the ones that will be most directly affected and are the ones who will be calling the cops about your shooting. I am pretty lucky, my neighbors don't mind me shooting in my yard. In fact, alot of the time the neighborhood kids come and watch me shoot and it provides a good opportunity to teach them about archery and responsibility (safely handling a bow). It has peaked some interest in hunting too, one of my neighbors has asked me to take him hunting, so I'll have to find some time to dedicate to taking him.

4. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I ahve a couple of different levels kids bows and will teach all who venture over. kids a fasinated with tha Bow and arrow.

5. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

Most cities group firearms and bows in the same category. I would check with the authorities first.

Or, if you your bow is quiet I wouldnt worry about it. :noidea: :lol:

6. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Yes they are. It's funny watching the puddle of drool form on the ground as they stare!:lol:

7. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Around here thay are classified as firearms. And you cannot discharge firearms within the city limits. But my neighbors are very cool and I shoot all the time with no problems.

8. camohunter87

camohunter87 New Member

i live in canada and my buddy from accros the street does it but i dont know what his set up is , he has a 3d target by his shed and just shoots at that

9. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I wuld just ask the neighbors if they mind and if not go for it...In my area you can't shoot a bow within 500 feet of a structure occupied or not uless you have permission from the owner...

10. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

You'll love the local interpretation (got an officer/friend to look it up). A bow is not considered to be a weapon....unless someone feels like they are in danger from it.

So, if you take it to a part and nock an arrow...you can be arrested. If you shoot it at someone and they think they could have been hurt....you get arrested. If you get permission, mark the area, and such...you can hold shoots in the middle of a public park (so long as the public feels safe).

Same goes at home. If my neighbor thinks they are in danger, I get in trouble. If they don't feel threatened..I'm good to go. Something tells me that the 7' rock retaining wall + 6' double sided wooden fence + their steel shed (all behind my backstop) should make them feel safe enough. :) Ya think?

11. heres 3 questions that I ask guys at the range when we talk about this subject and they insist that it is completely safe and they know what they are doing.

1. I ask them how close thier nieghbor(s) live to them?

2. Where they set up thier target in comparison to thier neighbors homes and thier own? ( majority placed against thier back or side fence)

3. If your so sure nothing can or will go wrong then why don't you place your target with your home as the back stop.

the 3rd question usually ends with everyone going back to shooting and all is quite for awhile. :noidea: why

12. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

theres a guy that lives by my buddys place that has his target in the back of his garage. he shots from his driveway into his garage.

13. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

around here (small town wisconsin) it is a local thing depends on what the town you live in has on the books. in the nearest town to me they could up until a couple years ago when a couple kids decided to keep the local cat population down. now you cant in that town. it varies though around here.

14. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

When I called to see if I could shoot my bow in city limits, the way the law was written, you couldn't even shoot a slingshot within city limits.
    Having the Cop Shop across the street just wasn't worth the risk :p

15. trussoni

suppose an errant arrow could have major repurcussions there wheely.

16. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

But look at her, she could probably talk her way out of it.:lol: :tape:

17. trussoni

she most likely could

18. trophytaker75

trophytaker75 New Member

Well i will tell you i have an old man 2 doors down that calls the cops everytime i shoot in my back yard even know it is legal he still calls them.I plan on having a cookout and inviting everyone i know with a bow for a big shoot in my backyard.The law here says as long as the arrow does not leave your yard it is legal if the arrow leaves your yard their is some stiff fines that can be placed on you.I have nothing but an open field behind me and a privacy fence with a 6' backstop in front of all that.I say hell with the neibors as long as it is safe and you have a good backstop and no one behind you.

19. trophytaker75

trophytaker75 New Member

I do the same when tuning does he live by me LOL

20. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

That's exactly my situation. I have a very large yard and the rear of it backs up to a wooded area that's about 100 yards deep, which is my 'backstop'. If I mappen to miss one of the targets a tree will intercept it pretty quickly. One of my neighbors has a Ten-Point Crossbow and he comes over to use my range when he wants and the weather is good. The other neighbors either don't know that I shoot back there or don't care, because I don't do anything stupid. I'm one of those people who believe that if you don't do anything stupid you can get away with doing some things that are deemed illegal.

Ron