Balancing a compound bow

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Norien, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Norien

Norien Junior Member

Once again just got some wildly different opinions on what I thought was a simple issue, at the range. I won't bore you with all the answers (many contradicting each other) I got today but the question was "should my compound bow stay balanced up/down as I hold it in the crook of my palm with open grip or should it tip forwards a bit or a lot. NOTE: this is WITHOUT drawing the string but simply holding bow out at arms length"

I just got a 30" stab with v-bar and am trying to find out if I need to put some rear weight on or not. I have these vibracheck stackable weights and experimented with add ons until there was no see/saw effect and the bow was still and steady while I held the undrawn bow. But the bow got pretty heavy in the process.

As always, thanks in advance for any help!
    Norien

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

i want the bow to fall foward and down out of the way on its own, so i want it slightly front heavy......

3. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

The Bowtech I use for spots is Bal. and it shoots great. I let a friend who shoots a Bowtech hold it one night and he was suprized at how bal. it was
    But it is what works best for you.

4. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

play with it. alot of it depends on the type of bow, traditional geometry, vertical limb? Vertical limb bows usually need less back weight. axle to axle, brace hieght all are factors. I dont use V bars,I just use a doinkered kicker weight on the arrow shelf side and a long ,light beiter main rod.

5. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I want my hunting bow to have close to a neutral balance...when I release I want the bow to stay where it is...My indoor I use a long stab and it falls forward slightly...some shooters have the bow swing allthe way over on the release...so it's entirely up to your shooting style, what makes you comfortable and allows your form to remain consistant.
    Play with front and back weight, take off one of your rear v-bars so you have just one monkey bar back there...play around til you find what works best for you...:biggrin1:

6. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I balance my bow close as level as I can. I like my bow to go straight towards the target after execution. And everyone is different. I'd take a few of these ideas and tinker.

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I feel the most comfortable with the bow 'falling' forward regardless of target or hunting purposes. For me that allows a complete follow though with the shot. I tried it balanced (and got flustered over it) and I did not feel good with that at all.

Ron

8. jimposten

jimposten Senior Member

Almost everyone asks for Ballanced... Every one is different.

(Quote from Posten's Stabilization 101)

The only true measurement of a bow’s stabilization, is felt at full draw, and recognized easiest in your sight window. It is impossible to feel how directional pulls effect you, unless all pulls are taken into consideration, including dynamic tension. Dynamic tension is the rearward pull exerted on the bow by the bows holding weight at full draw.

9. Norien

Norien Junior Member

Thanks one and all

Thanks for all the feedback!!! I'll tinker with it using your suggestions which are MUCH more coherent and common sense oriented than the gibberish I was getting at the range, lol.

Happy Holidays :)
    Norien

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

We've all been there...Ask 100 people get 100 different answers...:laugh: