bare shaft tuning

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by 62flint, Aug 7, 2007.

1. 62flint

62flint Member

I know we been here before. I got a brain frt. My bare shafts are hitting to the left of the fletched shafts. Which way do I move the rest. I am right handed.
    What is the max distance that any of you have tried bare shaft tuning?
    I put new strings on my bow and cranked it up about 6 pounds.
    Boy beginning to wish I had left it alone. What did momma use to say If it aint broke don't fix it. I need to start listening to momma. :doh:

2. 62flint

62flint Member

No one has any ideas?

3. VE6WTF

VE6WTF Senior Member

Your fletching is hitting the rest.
    Check for clearance?

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:tape: :doh: :doh:

he is BARE shaft tuning:doh:

5. VE6WTF

VE6WTF Senior Member

Means the bare are different from the fletched.
    Obv. There is a problem with one of them!:peace:

6. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Its all trial and error... if my arrows were shooting to the left, I would move my rest to the left. I Bareshaft tuned my Ultra tec up to 15-20 yards, wanting my arrows to be hitting slightly higher than fletched arrows.

7. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

I use the walk back tuning method to set me rest centershot. The bareshaft tuning is too much of Voodoo work for me:biggrin1:

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

To the left but in very small increments. A little goes a very long way.

Good luck.

Ron

9. 62flint

62flint Member

This is what I can not understand.I changed strings and went up on draw weight by 4-6 pounds. I had to move my rest left by quite a bit. I am shooting the exact same arrows. So why the left impact of the bareshafts. I could see right impact but left? My cams are in time the best I can tell. But if they where out of time, wouldn't that most likely cause a tail high or low problem? :frusty:

10. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Most likely -- but not always. I would also shoot different make of arrows and see what happens.

IMO the best way to tune a bow is using the walk back method with a horizontal line on the target..

11. tresmon

tresmon Member

I just discovered bare shaft tuning, per my martin owners manual that came with my new Bengal. All martin says about left/right impact of the bare shaft is that your spine is too heavy or weak, depending on the direction of impact.

Per Martin Manual:

If bare arrows impact ________ from flecthed arrows, means ________.

Low - nock set too high.
    High - " " " Low.
    Left - spine to stiff.
    Right - Spine too weak.

I bare shaft tuned out to 40 yards, gee's with this new martin Bengal, you could literally get by with bare shafts for deer hunting!

Tres

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

stick some broadheads on them arrows an let me know how you like fletchings......:biggrin1:

13. tresmon

tresmon Member

BowMan,

You love archery? How about P-R-O-M-O-T-I-N-G your sport instead of being a ___________ (you fill in the blank) to new comers. Ive had a bow 2 weeks. leave me alone. Did'nt your ma ever tell you if you didn't have anything nice to say, to keep your mouth shut?

To all here, SO SORRY I'm excited about this stuff and enthusiastic, that is if bowman represents the attitude of the majority here.

14. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

WE are glad to see your enthusiasm...We all love archery, thats why we're here...and please remember these are our opinions based on our expieriences...as for Bowman he's just alittle more blunt and opinionated than most of us...Don't take it personal, He doesn't mean it that way. We are all pretty good friends here and I hope you can get past this and hang around awhile...

Again, welcome to the sport and the forum.
    Ed

15. Scablands

Scablands Member

Maybe some people are just too sensitive to be on forums?

16. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Well thin skin may just be part of it, but people new to any sport or hobby can loose interest very easily if they get discouraged...and being a newbie here also and getting it with both barrels don't help either...:hug:

17. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I didnt mean to seem like i was getting on your nerves and too tell you the truth, I didnt even relize that the 2 threads had the same people in them....

if you took affence to my bluntness, please understand that I am sorry and ment nothing by it......

and you said yourself that you have only had a bow 2 weeks......

I have had bows for almost 18 years.....and I have seen the things that do and dont work.....

please comeback and enjoy the forum and if need be I will try to avoid conflicts w/ you in the future.......

just some advise though....if your this sensitive and "thin skinned" maybe internet forums of morethan 2 people are not the place for you......

take a look around buddy....I probably get more abuse on here than anybody, but the difference is I understand that its just a place to express opinions....:noidea:

so again I appologize

Adam

18. whitetail99

whitetail99 Senior Member

take the weight of your fletching and add it to the nock end of the arrow then tune. The FOC is very important.