Benefits of using feathers...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Ronhop, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

OK, so I'm ready to do some more experimenting on my indoor target stuff.
    I cannot get out hunting, for a variety of reasons, so I might as well target shoot.

I'm thinking of trying feathers. I'm using Blazers now for everything.

Aside from a bit higher drag and lighter weight what are the benefits of feathers ?

Thanks, Ron

2. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

If you shoot a whisker biscuit feathers offer the least resistance, but I wouldn't think they would last very long.

3. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Feathers are lighter and are supposed to stabilize better at short distances.

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I don't use a WB (any more), so no worries there.
    On my indoor target bow I use a Mathews drop away.

I was just curious if there was a compelling reason to use them.

Ron

5. rpford53

rpford53 Member

I use the Gateway Rayzr's for 3D and spots. They work great and are as good if not better than my 3D Duravanes.

6. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I can think of one disadvantage to feathers over vains. Rain........If you plan on hunting or shooting outdoors they are going to get wet when it rains. Then you got a bunch of arrows that look like a posum with the mange.....:D

7. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Hopefully the sprinkler system won't come on when he's shooting then......:biggrin1:

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... :laugh: If that happened I have more to worry about than wet fletchings. Bullfiddle, I'm only going to be using these indoors for spots, but your point is well taken.

Ron

9. rpford53

rpford53 Member

E#ver hear of watering proofing your feathers? It does work.

10. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

quicker stabilization is the benefit of feathers...or so I am told. I have feathers on my indoor arrows so they are nice and stable when they hit in the blue :doh:

11. bullfiddle

Hey I was just tryin to help a brother out, case you was plannin to do some outdoor shootin with them bad boys........:peace:

12. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Na, no outdoors with those. Maybe a 3D but not hunting for sure.

Ron

13. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Hey, if you're going to hit in the blue most of the time you might as well look good while doing it... I like the barred feathers. Hitting the blue would never look so good... :bowl:

Ron

14. bullfiddle

you seen any pics where the splice 2 different colored fletchings together wait I will try to find a pic.....:peace:

15. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yes I have that looks great. Somebody (Meanv ?) posted some pics of some crested and feather fletched arrows that looked awsome. I would not mess with the cresting at first but messing around with feathers would make my non-hunting time pass by a little less painfully.

Ron

16. bullfiddle

Michigander over at AT made these I don't think he would mind me posting this.

17. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Nice job on those and they look great.
    Thanks for posting that...

Ron

18. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Ok you guys talked me into it going to get some arrows fletched up with some feathers for the Ovation and see what happens.

By the way thanks for the pic Michigander done well.:peace:

19. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Feathers for indoor will last longer, Larger for indoors. Mainly because for indoors spots you want a longer heavey arrow. Stabilizes faster IMO, with a lower draw weight.
    For outdoors 3D feathers work much better in the woods because of they give if they brush against things like sticks and limbs ect.
    As for the photo, thise are a pain on the you know what to do. But the cool facture is there.:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

20. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

I have used feathers for years hunting. It makes it easier to get the FOC I demand in my arrows:cool:

Dan