Best practice target for the buck?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Fry, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Fry

Fry Bambi's greatest enemy.

I'm looking to replace my old beat up layered target. I could just go out and get another one..but I was wondering if there was something better that wont cost me an arm and a leg.

2. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

If you don't mind pulling arrows harder than pulling saplings, go buy a peice of blue foam insulation from lowes and layer it about 8 thick. Nothing will ever get through that. I set my bow on 58# and put a brand new thunderhead on the end and shot it at 10 yards. It penetrated 6 of the 1/2'' layers.:biggrin1:

3. Fry

how much did this foam cost?

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

why not just get an 18-1 from Rinehart???:noidea: :wave:

5. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

he said he DIDNT want to spend and arm and leg.

6. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

bass pro shop has a layered target from there redhead line. its made by the block for bass pro and it only runs around 40 bucks. they go on sale all the time for 30.

7. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

The foam is like 8$ for a 8'x4' panel I think. Go find a construction sight dumpster and get their scraps for free. I'm warning you though, it may be easier to pull an arrow from an oak tree than that stuff. It get very old very quick. Wal mart also sells a bag-style target for like 25$ I think. I do not know the durability of them, though. My bud has one and it stops arrows fine, but it is still pretty new.

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Getting one of those is more or less a decision based on total cost of ownership... Those things last a really long time and take broadheads and points without any issues.

If you shop around you can get one for about $85 and it will literally last for years.

Ron

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

$100 for a target that will literally last for years if not left out is hardly an ARM AND A LEG.....

depending on where he lives, he may spend that much on GAS, just to get to a purchace point........

How much does a dozen arrows or a decent release cost?? he will probably need more arrows, or a new release before he needs to replace that target.....

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

if you want a great bag target, you can get a Magic Stop bag target, for around $60, but you cant shoot broadheads at it...........

11. MickeyBee

MickeyBee New Member

Ive got a couple of Morrell bags that are about $50 each. When the bag starts to wear out all you do is jump on it to bring it back to life. When the thing gets realy bad you just rebag it for about $15. Arrow pull is very easy.

12. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

my morrel was losing stopping power last week(first time in since last year when I boguht it). So I took a broom pole to it and now it's fine. Just keep bashing till it's like new:frusty: :lol:

13. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Try the Ames pillow targets. Cheap and you can fill them with aout anything. I have been shooting mine all summer and have had zero pass throughs and the arrows pull with ease. I filled mine with old clothes (no metal zippers) and put a 3x3 pice of carpet in each side. I love it!

14. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Exactly Bunny....

Total cost of ownership....

Ron

15. Fry

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll probably just get another layered target from bass pro. I live 3 miles away from the chicago land location. Only thing that sucks about living around here its near IMPOSSIBLE to find a place to hunt. My only option is bum **** southern illinois where my dads buddy owns a farm. But, me being a college student really limits hunting..I don't think I'll be able to go this year >=O