Best thing for Mesquitos

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by philg, Jul 30, 2007.

1. philg

philg Member

:rockon: If you hunt with them darn things like I do I suggest buying the thermocell. I think Im gonna buy some stoke in that company. Never seen anything work as well. Im a believer......:clap2:

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I have one in the truck, just havent had a chance to use it......:noidea:

3. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

For 3D shots and just shooting outdoors a dryer sheet will keep the sketers away. But for hunting the deer will smell it.
    But do not laugh, I told the old lady next door about it. She thought i was crazy. She said she has them coming in here screen door when she goes in and out. So I put a few in the 2 bushes next to her front door. I ask her about them a few weeks later. She said she had no problems that they must have left. I showed her the dryer sheets and now she puts them out every month in the summer.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  4. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ive got one!

I use to stay at a campground on the chesapeke bay wright on the water,them things killed me.
    My mother-inlaw got me to rub on some lotion on & Bingo no bites!
    I started using that stuff 20years ago and still use it today with out a bite!
    Avon-skin-so-soft, No smell either!:biggrin1:

5. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Yep I am a firm believer in ThremaCell. I bought one last year thinking oh well its just money I'm wasting but let me tell ya this thing works. Although I have not tried it on a real windy day. As for it bothering deer let me just say.............NOPE. They are not bothered at all. I sure wish I had one of these when I was younger and sit out all night catfishin. Well worth the money. And if you run out of butane before you run out of the discs then you can get the butane tubes with the cordless curling irons at Wal-Mart.:peace:

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Do you have to hand in your man card before you can apply that to yourself?

7. philg

philg Member

I have used one for three years form a stand and gound blind. Ihave had the wind blow right at them inside 10 yards and so far none have spooked off.:biggrin1:

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Any particular brand? Does it keep away Limerick sized horse flies too?

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

That's funny...:lol:

Ron

11. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Yes Dreadly!

You have to hand it in while your putting it on!
    And you get it back while guttin the deer!:puke:

12. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Not sure about horse flys ask philg about brands for hunting. I just use any brand

13. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Oh yeah I remember someone told me about this way back years ago. Avon better not ever stop selling that stuff or they will have folks rioting hehe..

14. gmherps

gmherps Senior Member

I love my thermacells. The only suggestion I have for ppl is that you fire it up in the truck because that click it makes when it fires up will scare deer for 5 counties off.

15. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Nothing works as good as a thermacell. They are the real deal. I use mine camping, and I see people getting bit and swatting bugs while I have nothing around me.
    In my blind I can see a wall of bugs outside just waiting for the cell to turn off.

16. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

It will be like the gay rights parade all over again! Oh no the horror! :lol:

17. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf115181.tip.html

He fellars here is some repelents. I just saw these and have'nt tried any .Tha rubbin acholo looks best.

I have heard tha tha Indians used a herb for this.
    Strive to wear light-colored clothing. Many mosquitos use their vision to locate targets from a distance; dark clothing and rich foliage are excellent attractants.
    Try not to be outdoors when you are hot. You release more carbon dioxide when you are hot, and carbon dioxide is a major attractant of mosquitos.
    Try not to be outdoors after an intense workout. Vigorous exercise can result in significant lactic acid build-up in your muscles, and lactic acid is a strong attractant of mosquitos.
    Don't eat salty foods. Eating salty foods can cause you to produce higher-than-normal amounts of lactic acid.
    Avoid using products with fruity or floral fragrances. These fragrances are mosquito attractants.
    Wipe off perspiration on a regular basis. Perspiration attracts mosquitos via the chemicals contained within. Perspiration increases the humidity around your body, which also attracts mosquitos.
    If possible, stay away from pools of water. Even mud puddles and moist plants attract mosquitos.
    Another natural mosquito repellant
    Submitted by Limor on June 6, 2007 - 03:43.
    Another natural repellent that I have found is Vitamin B1 - also known as Thiamin Monostrate.

When I was traveling to Fiji I was being eaten by mosquitoes during sundown. I by chance read in one of my travel guides that Vitamin B1 repelled mosquitoes. I figured I had nothing to lose.
    It definitely deterred the insects. Once I started taking it, I was not getting bit at all. It was amazing.
    Plus you can't beat the additional benefits of Vitamin B1 as it helps the energy and the metabolism.

I have found that if you eat very little to no white sugar in your diet, that the mosquitos will go to those around you who do eat sugar, leading me to believe that they can definitely tell a difference in body odor. I also discovered that I could perspire profusely and still have no body odor when I cut white sugar out of my diet for a period of time.

I like tha B vitimans one tha best.

18. poorshot

poorshot Senior Member

cell

Are the bugs gone? Or still buzzing and not biting? I've used stuff where the bugs didn't bite, but were still annoying me so bad I left.

19. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

So you're saying that the best way of not attracting the blood thirsty suckers is to stay inside, don't move around, don't eat, and wear light colored clothing all the time ? I think I'll stick with the Thermacell. :lol:

Ron

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

live in a rubber room and shrivel away to nothing....:lol: